Heeelp! Bread recipe

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm out of butter and oil (other than sesame oil..) and I need to make some bread!

Any suggestions on what to use???

Oh.. and we don't normally have apple sauce in the house because we don't eat it.... :/

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You can use anything, the sesame will work, bacon grease, lard, any fat you have .....saved chicken fat....anything will work and it will be delicious!

nachoqtpie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

I threw some french bread in there for now... I think I'm going to make some red beans and rice tonight.... or spaghetti... not quite sure yet..

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You really only need flour, water, salt and yeast for bread. I'd just leave it out. :hu

What kind of bread are you making that needs oil?

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
As soon as you said red beans and rice, I thought Lefse! Just a flour tortilla looking thing but it's made with mashed potatoes. I always used the leftover mashed potatoes and just added flour, maybe a bit of salt. Roll it out into a round, plop it on a dry skillet or griddle and flip it over when it has brown spots on it.

It might look like a tortilla, but it will be thicker, softer and have a better flavor. I love it with butter or sugar and cinnamon or just plain when I use it to help scoop up good chow from a plate.

My mom's family was from Norway, my dad was a southerner. I was raised with a strange blend of food.

opal

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I love making bread! I never put any fat in mine until my half Italian hubby said.. it neeeeeeeds olive oil. (well.. unless going nuts with onion rye or pumpernickle) Sometimes dry or canned milk, but like said above.. 3.5c flour, 1 water, about a tablespoon of salt and a scant table spoon of yeast.. basic bread - water will vary depending on humidity. That size should fit in a regular size loaf pan, but I just shape and put it on parchment on the pizza stone that's in the oven.