Heirloom Seeds?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Where do you buy your heirloom seeds? and why?

My fiance didn't freak out when I suggested heirloom seeds for peas next year.

He did mention that squashs/melons tend to cross-pollinate and do weird things. Anyone have trouble with that?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Baker Creek...see my thread about the tomatoes :D

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Someone else also asked this question recently -- there are a few other places listed in this thread , although Baker Creek is the clear front runner with this crowd.

I will leave the cross-pollination question to those who successfully grow things. (My garden sucks this year -- again.)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Hi tortoise--I like Seeds of Change and REALLY like Seed Saver's Exchange. They have literally 1000s of heirlooms if you are a member, 100s through their catalog.

Regarding cross-pollination, there are 4 families of squash. They do not cross pollinate between families but they DO within families. So, for example, all squash in the curcurbita pepo family could cross pollinate, but if you chose 1 variety from each of the 4 families, you could save seeds.

Tomatoes seem to stay true. Most other things cross pollinate. There's a really great book out there about seed saving, but the title escapes me at this moment...

Latest posts