Hello, and hope you are having a day worth smiling... :)

Jabberwonky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello to everyone. I am a 43 year old female and live in a northern region of the US where it is very cold in the winter. I enjoy nature in general, and have always been interested in natural remedies, herb gardening, vegetable gardening, flower gardening, planting and harvesting fruit, prepping, preserving food, composting, vermicomposting, soapmaking, and making clothing. I have also had a general interest in most topics related to off-grid living, but don't currently live off grid or have a homestead situation. Over the years, I've dabbled in many of these interests, some years more than other years, depending on the challenges and changes life throws my way.

I have a couple of kids, and also just lost my beloved golden retriever of 11-1/2 years. I find that I am very idealistic, but often fall short in terms of practical considerations and get scattered with tons of projects and ideas. I am currently trying to narrow my focus to a few things that I can learn thoroughly, such as learning to grow more robust heads of garlic, rather than planting a huge vegetable garden with many types of vegetables. I am also focusing on making a few specific, permanent habit changes, like reducing the amount of items I purchase/use that are not easily biodegradable. I've always recycled bottles and large containers, but wasn't aware until recently that many of my food and mail packaging can be returned to the store for recycling. I am also trying to shop with my own bags, buy local produce, use reusable water bottles, or find other ways to reduce plastic consumption in general. I am also trying to buy clothing made of natural materials, which is a bit overwhelming, and also pricey. I am doing a lot of thrifting right now, as I familiarize myself with clothing companies where I can make solid future purchases if need be. I enjoy sewing and crocheting (although I'm not that great at it), but also have to weigh my time and energy, and the other demands of life, when considering where I will source my clothing.

I am always happy to talk to like-minded people, and I love to learn new things or copycat great ideas, so I am glad I found this forum and hope you all are well. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
HI and welcome! Glad to have you here. Lots of folks here have lots in common with you.

@flowerbug is our resident worm expert. Sounds like ya'll have that in common. I've just started with some leftover fishing worms. Lots of gardeners too. So hot in my area that my garden has already bit the dust. My DH is in charge of recycling here.

So sorry about the loss of your Golden. :hugs

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:welcome :weee :welcome
Welcome,
We all are doing are best to do what we can to "do it" for ourselves , but is is so nice to shoot ideas off each other for help

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
... so I am glad I found this forum and hope you all are well. :)

welcome to SS from mid-Michigan. in the past i lived in the UP of MI for 15 years so i'm familiar with the northern climate and much snow fun. :)

as for worm composting i'll put more details in your other thread on that topic.

TheFatBlueCat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome, I'm in New Zealand. Sorry about the loss of your dog 😥

Sounds like you have a good handle on a range of things. Overwhelm is real! I have what I call a mini homestead - extensive gardens and some fruit trees, and a flock of chickens, but just on 1/3 acre at the edge of a rural town.

I love thrifting, I get most of my clothing that way.