Hello everyone!! Newbie here

wannabefarmergirl

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Well actually Ive been a silent SS stalker for awhile now. Just getting around to the introduction. Im from Northern California. Really northern. Small rural town called Yreka about 45 minutes from Medford Oregon. My fiance is from Talent Oregon and we are loving being in the country. We have 2 acres with 10 chickens and 5 turkeys. I have just recently started my garden but zone 7 is a difficult zone to plant veggies in. We get snow in June sometimes! Makes for a very short growing season. I planted my plants way too early and am starting to lose alot of them. Lesson learned.

I am interested in learning how to be as self sufficient as I can not so much to save money but to just live off the land the way people used to do it. It really intrigues me. Anyway, Im glad to be here!!!!

S

sunsaver

:welcome Welcome, WBFG! Tou need to keep a close eye on the weather reports, and fence out the critters. Good luck!:)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
And welcome again from central Kansas!

Our growing season is longer than yours, but sometimes I get to plant my garden twice, too!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:welcome There is an obscure series of books written in the seventies as a high school project, by high school kids, that you would probably love, called Foxfire. It's ALL about how folks used to do everything in the Appalachians years ago, from planting by the signs of the moon, to basketweaving, hog slaughtering and everything. This was pre fencing of livestock. Folks fenced their gardens and let the livestock run free then ;) Sounds like your cup o tea though if you like to read. very interesting series, and on my little farmlette, they have come in handy time and again. I'm attempting to live with what I've got here as well.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Hello and welcome from NE Ohio. :frow

The Foxfire series is a good start. Asking questions here, is good too!
:welcome

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
:welcome

I spent a lot of summers outside of Lakeview, OR which I think isn't terribly far from you. Beautiful country.