Hello everyone

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hope you are doing good!!! winter coming so stay warm. be a bit before the spring kicks in and we have that nice warm weather again!!

I live in the South and considering moving more South HAHA

so what's up????

okiegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, we decided to move to Colorado but have yet to make the move. Our plan is to find a place where we can live a more ss lifestyle. I'm trying to learn more ss skills. Hubby bought a pressure canner for me for Christmas so I'll be able to can more.

My chicken girls were getting a bit old and they really slowed on their laying so I rehomed them. My thoughts were to start over when we get to Colorado. I really miss my girls tho'. :(

I'm honestly trying to keep my 'freaking out' to a minimum, but with the economic climate, I'm worried what our future holds. I hate when I start sounding like an alarmist. We've bought some weapons and ammo, I have my seed bank, a 'bug out' camper, freezer full of grass fed beef and about 2 weeks of freeze dried food, enough for the whole family. (Plus all the canned odds and ends in the cabinet). I'm really waiting until we get settled to make long term prepper/ss plans. I have bought several ss books, just in case we lose power and I don't have online resources.

I know we were having these same conversations a couple years ago, but it just seems more real now.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome back :frow

If I may suggest, don't "wait" to develop your SS skill set--dig into those books now and start practicing the skills you want to use in your everyday life :)

I know it's not gardening season, and it sounds like you are already well-versed in poultry-keeping, but I'm sure there are things on your list that you can start doing right away. Which books have you bought, and which are on your wish list?

The pressure canner is a great place to start, jump in with both feet and try a simple recipe like plain pinto beans. If you've done water bath canning in the past, it's not hugely different--just a different processing method and timing. Read the manual that came with your canner and use a recipe from that booklet the first time around. Then once you have a handle on how it works, you can pressure can just about anything (except, apparently, pureed squash/pumpkin :rolleyes:) Lots of people on here are into pressure canning and we have tons of recipes to share, so don't be shy about asking any questions!

When you say "seed bank", is this one of those "prepper" type kits, or your own self-gathered/purchased garden seeds ready for spring? Are you a gardener, or are you just starting out? Some seeds will remain viable for a long time, others have a limited storage time--so you need to plant them every year, enjoy the food, and save seeds for next year. Some plants are easy, some are more difficult, and some depend on your local conditions--so some plants you are used to growing in OK may drive you crazy when you try to grow them in CO because the climate is so different.

okiegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I bought several books at Jason's recomendation (Modern Pioneer on here)
By seed bank, I mean just seeds I've kept for the last couple of years. Most are heriloom and open pollinated, but some are Burpee :)/ )

It's really hard to get too prepped because of the upcoming move. I'd to have to just have to pack everything.