Hello everyone

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thanks! Apart from the water situation we're o.k. I think... If we could just get that sorted, get more organised with storage tanks and put gutters up on the barn so we can collect roof water from there as well... We're going to be busy this summer!

The solar stills sounds interesting! Please tell me more, or direct me to a thread if there is one on the topic here. Any amount of extra water would be welcome at this stage. The past few weeks has been bone dry. But we get clouds, oh and it looks so promising. The other day we got thunder and lighting! We were so exited, we really thought this is it, big thunderstorm, rain, rain! We got about 10 drops :th Our grey water gets used on the vegetable garden at the moment, as we can't really spare any fresh clean water for the plants. I'm eyeing the river that borders our property, but the problem is we're right on the coast and the sea water washes back into the river during high tide, making the water so salty, my plants will probably freak if I use that as is...

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Can you get water from the river w/no problem? If so, you could get some, put it in a large container-but don't fill it all the way! Then, place a smaller container inside the larger one and cover it w/clear plastic. Put a small, heavy object on the plastic so that it makes a point above the smaller container. Make sure to place this in an area that gets a lot of sun. Then, let the sun evaporate the water. It will be trapped by the plastic, and make it "rain" inside. By having the point over the smaller container, it should direct the water into there. The salt will be left behind, and the water you get in your smaller container should be fine for using either as drinking water or water to water your garden.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Thanks! I see there is info and illustrations on solar stills as well. I'm to see about finding some clean plastic sheets and give it a try. I'll let you know how it goes.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Well, the weather forecast said rain yesterday, today and tomorrow. I'm still :pop Unless you count the drizzle we got this morning, but it barely touched the tanks. I'm going to have to try the still, but with this sudden heat I simply didn't have the energy to go digging holes and the gardener has a sixth sense when it comes to me, it seems. When I really need him I cannot find him anywhere! Like this morning when I walked out of the chicken coop and nearly stepped on a snake. I asked his DD does she know where he was, there's a snake. She didn't, so I ran over to his house. By the time I was back to where I last saw the snake she was there, armed with a huge stick. Atta girl!