Hello from California girl making it as a farmer in North Carolina!

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
:frow hello from a transplant out of NC up to MD (hopefully headed to VA, lol!). You didn't say where you were from, NC is a pretty big state :)

Looking forward to getting to know you!

MayLadybug

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Love horses, but they are more than I want to deal with at this point. Welcome to this site...I am new too, and we must be fairly close if you are in N. California. Would love to see any pics of your critters and their habitat and how you care for them.

Thanks,

Mayladybug

AhyokaAcres

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
:welcome from another horse owner! Tell us more about yourself (and your horses).
Well, I have 8 equine kiddos right now, all doing something a little different. I've got 2 ponies, one is a rescue, and one is a quarter horse filly that was born here, but at 4 years old is still only about 13hh, the same size as the rescue. I have her mother, who does anything from 3 day eventing to barrel racing, which isn't bad for a compact little foundation bred. My hanoverian is my dressage and eventer; a belgian/paint cross still to be determined, but we think she'll make a nice low level eventer. My haflinger is just a pasture puff atm, my spotless appy is just a trail horse for now, and my arab is hopefully a future endurance/who knows what else horse. I don't think I missed anyone?

Me on the other hand...not too sure WHAT to say ;)

AhyokaAcres

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
~gd said:
AhyokaAcres said:
Hello all! I was led to this site from backyardchickens.com, and have fallen in love with my time coming here to read all of these informative and interesting posts. I have finally decided to start fixing up my farm, so I have now become a member rather than a lurker!

I'm 23, and was born and raised in So. California, however moved to North Carolina with my father after we lost my mother. I have always been a rancher at heart, loving horses from day one. I now live on my own little 5 acre farm, surrounded by my wonderful herd of horses, and recently chickens, ducks, and a turkey! I have become a poultry fanatic, and aside from my 15 pullets that will be laying hens, I am also hatching eggs that will start my three new breeding projects.

I have always loved farming, but have been unmotivated as much as I hated it. I have recently found new hope, and want to fix this little homestead up and make it work FOR us! The idea of self-sufficient life interests me greatly, and I can't wait to learn all that I can from this site!

~A :frow
Welcome from a transplant from western NY state. You didn't mention which part of the state you are in and we have everything from the swamps to the east ranging up To the higest mountain east of the Mississippi in our western mountains. I am not a rancher but I know that 5 acres will not support a HERD of horses. In fact many of our 100 counties insist that you have 5 acres in order to have ANY horses. My part of the state called the Piedmont is a heavy producer of meat birds (#5 in broilers #2 in turkey) but sadly most are produced in factory farms.
What are your breeding projects? I may be able to direct you to source birds. And may I suggest you NOT enter into a contract to produce poultry until you have discussed it with other producers! You might make monry or you might lose your farm. The Industry is going through hard times because of the increase in feed prices. but anyway WELCOME!
I'm in Northwestern NC, around Hickory/Lenoir/Boone.

For now, I'm just sticking to a little personal slew of breeding projects, then selling privately if I get interest. I am starting with Mille Fleur and Phoenix. I just want to maybe breed for better standards, and maybe go to some shows here and there. I may also do a little bit of a Black Copper Marans project. The rest of my birds are my layer flock.

I'm just getting started with the chickens, but so far I love having them, as each really has their own quirky personality.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
OK, I want to see pics of your horses, especially the Arabian and the Hanoverian. Arabs are my favorite breed, and I've never seen a Hanoverian.