Hello from Colorado

Luckie D

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
My name is Denise and I live in the middle of Colorado on the Palmer Divide.
I don't know where to begin, but basically I'm trying to become as self sustaining as possible. I grow as much produce as possible with various methods. I recently started straw bale gardening which works well with my composting. I raise chickens, worm farm consume honey from my neighbors apiary, I buy a calf each year that is grass fed on my neighbors land, my husband is an avid fisherman that catches trout that is not only for us but the dogs, cats and chickens and I make all my own cleaning supplies and most beauty supplies with essential oils. I'm sure there are more things I can add to this list but you get the gist.....
I really didn't devote much time to self-sufficiency until about 3 years ago. I started the changes for many reasons but now I'm hooked. Everyday I try to learn from others or educate myself on more but I don't want to overwhelm myself so this spring I really started focusing on improving what we already have in place.
I look forward to discussing these things and much more with y'all!

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Hi, Denise, welcome to SS! :frow I would love to hear more about your projects and methods, please? Especially your homemade cleaning and beauty supplies. That is an aspect of self sufficiency that interests me at the moment. There are a few active discussions on the forum where you can jump in and share, but you are of course welcome to start a few news ones too. See you on the forums!

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
welcome-group.gif

Sounds like you are doing a lot! Would love to hear more about how you make your cleaning supplies.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Very cool lifestyle changes you've made! Welcome to the forum, feel free to jump in and post! We hope you enjoy it!

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Looking forward to hearing about your projects as well. Those are two areas I'm looking at venturing more into and would love more information about how you do things!