Hello from Germany

Germangeordie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to this site but not new to the self sufficient lifestyle. After living in the UK for 10 years I moved back to Germany in August 2012, due to opportunities I had to live more self sufficient.

At the moment I am living in the country on 1/10 acre, raising meat rabbits and growing my own fruits and vegetable. I don't have many fruit trees but barter for pears and apples with my neighbors, so that I have enough to last me through the winter.
I'd love to add chickens or ducks to the mix soon but as I don't own the property I live on, that might take a bit of convincing. In the meantime, I save my money to be able to buy a few acres of my own.

Greetings
Anja

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Bwa Ha Ha Ha Ha! Little does he know he's on the Slippery Slope! Next will come a couple of goats, because cheese would be wonderful with all that lovely produce... Then a miniature cow because it's so hard to get butter from goats milk... then turkeys, geese, ducks... then he'll buy the property next door just so he can knock down the house and start growing grain and hay.....

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome I have a brother that lives in Germany.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome! I hope you get to add some chickens or ducks to your garden! I can't imagine not having my chickens. They love all the garden trimmings and plants that are at the end of their life cycle. I pile leaves in the run and coop in the fall over 3 feet deep. They turn the leaves, scratch them to bits, poop on them and make me some fabulous compost! I will cross my fingers that your landlord lets you have a few chickens!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome! Perhaps if you can design a small coop that would be portable, you would not be making any permanent changes to the property that way?

Germangeordie

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well I share the property with my mom at the moment. Legally it's hers and she has the last word. She just can't understand that a small portable chicken coop will actually do (it's not something that's common here in Germany) and things it will take up too much space, that my dogs will keep going to investigate the chickens etc. It will be a bit of a long process, but I managed to expand the garden, space and get rabbits, so I am patient and will end up with my chickens in a few month. I keep dropping hints about it any chance I get, to get her used to the idea :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That sounds like the way to go. And, I can pretty much guarantee that once you do get the chickens, she'll like them.