Hello from Illinois

steviedeann

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hello everyone i am a member of BYC and BYH more so BYC I live in a tiny town of about 30 homes or so 3 blocks long in west central Illinois where Illinois Missouri and Iowa meet. My SO and DD and myself have 14 hens and a couple roosters as well as 3 male ducks that are the talk of the town they love to visit the neighbors a Turkey and a baby Potbelly pig. We have a Chihuahua and 2 pugs a crazy dog like cat name Bazzle. I cockatiel a snake and a partridge in a pear tree haha. I am a vet tech and my fiancé is a labor my daughter is 4 years going on 13 ugh. I am here to learn to be more self sufficient as far as providing for my family. I need to learn how to use what I have and not to purchase everything when I can make it here at home and find uses for the stuff I may already have but haven't thought of an idea on how to use it.. and now im rambling so sorry!! nice to meet everyone im going to put on my learning pants and get to reading. after all I am only 24 I still have a lot to learn in this great thing we call life!!

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome! lots to learn here! Sounds like you have quite the zoo! The chickens are a great start!

steviedeann

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I sure do! I have had chickens since I was 19 I love them they are easy to keep and give back!! I will always have chickens. now im just trying to decide on a couple meat pigs or Goats??

elwood

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
you already have a meat pig...... but it is probably a pet....
how much property do you have?

steviedeann

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
yeah im not eating a Potbelly haha we own about a half a block almost we have a large lot that could hold just about anything If we fenced it in its all grass nothing else,

steviedeann

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We did the rabbit thing it was ok for awhile my cousin does rabbits so we get those from him actually we just had rabbit tonight. Pig would last longer and goats would give us meat and milk.