Hello from Junction City, Oregon

HeronsNestFarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My Name is April and I live in Junction City. It is a a farming community outside Eugene.

My husband and I have an Organic Garlic/seed farm. I work part time in town as a Legal secretary and my husband is an attorney.

My husband is JJ Haapala who pioneered a grant to categorize and document open pollinated seeds to keep them from becoming intellectual property that others could patent and keep the general public from accessing. We continue in our endeavors to create new varieties and maintain existing ones. He spent years as director of Oregon Tilth and worked on the current legislation that make up the Organic standards we all now enjoy. Can you tell I'm proud of him?

I homeschooled for 7 years and was a home school teacher in our community. I love talking about homeschooling and the plethora of curriculums out there. Feel free to pick my brain. i have a TON of info and free-bee ideas.

We have a beautiful 16 acre farm on the Willamette River, 5 kids, 4 cats, 1 dog and a ferret. Chickens are forthcoming in the Spring.

WE are not totally self sufficient but grow and can a lot of our food. Currently we are thinking about implementing more alternative energy sources on the farm.

I have a blog, crochet, do paper crafts, and cook. (HeronsNestFarm@blogspot.com)

I am excited to be a part of this forum. I'm connecting through TEG.

Hello everyone!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Welcome from Mississippi! Sounds like you are already well on your way to being SS!!!!!

Theo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hey, our farm is in Harrisburg, just a hop and a skip from Junction City. We don't live there right now (we live in Springfield), but we have a large garden there and some chickens. Our tenant looks after everything (she is an angel). I find that part of the valley very lovely. We have a problem with nutria and voles--evidently both species love onions, and I have a hard time keeping them in the ground. But they don't like garlic and it grows well here! I had a great crop last summer and now I am wondering how to use it all up. Our soil is somewhat boggy, but we have some high spots. I want to try growing a wheat patch just to see if I can get some to grow.

Wow, it's nice to have somebody in the same neighborhood on here ... welcome!

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome from WA state!

Sounds like you will have lots of good info we can snag from you!:thumbsup

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome! I'm in Springfield. Hubby and I have a dog, 2.5 cats, 4 chickens, and 12 rabbits. We'll garden this spring, it's our first year in this house so didn't do anything over this first winter. Glad to have a new member so nearby. :D