Hello from Kansas

Tehwrd

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hello. We are just beginning our journey toward self sufficiency. My husband's job has, to date, moved us around a great deal. We finally found some acreage to rent and are looking forward to jumping in. My husband and I have 3 kids ranging in age from 11-21. For the time being my eldest is still at home, and we're grateful for that as we begin this endeavor.
1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like? We are in Kansas and pretty much have 4 seasons. Fall and especially spring can feel somewhat short.
2. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient?
We have always been interested in self sufficiency and started down that road when we lived in Oregon. A job move to Kansas landed us in the city and finally after several moves in town, we have a small country parcel that we are renting.
3. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more?
We are not terribly self sufficient now, so we are jumping in with both feet. Covid reminded me why all those years ago we started down the road to self sufficiency. I do not want to be dependent upon a grocery store to feed my family.
4. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs?
Within reason, yes, I am interested in planning ahead for our family's needs.
5. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
I knit, crochet, & sew. My husband does some woodworking, electrical, and is quite handy.
6. Can you legally keep livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
We can keep livestock. We do not yet have any, but have plans for chickens, goats, and possibly a cow.
7. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
I love gardening and and so looking forward to the greenhouse and garden plot that is already on the land. I love growing vegetables, herbs, and flowers.
8. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
My eldest son fishes and uses bait. My youngest son is looking forward to learning this skill. Our new place has two creeks running through it and one pools into a fishing/swimming pond.
9. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country?
We are renting a 3 acre plot in the country. It sits on 200 acres.
10. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?
I do not really have a specialty. I'm looking forward to learning more about food preservation.
11. Do you do wood work? Framing, finish, cabinet?
My husband does some wood work and is capable of framing, finish, and cabinet.
12. Are you interested in herbal medicine?
I am very interested in herbal medicine
13. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?
Honestly, the property which we will be renting is just about my dream property.
14. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?
We do not, though I would love to.
15. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? Raw milk? Farm fresh eggs?
I love to cook and try to use as much whole food as possible. Right now we purchase our grass fed/finished beef, pastured eggs, and raw milk, cream, & butter direct from a local farmer. I am looking forward to providing much of this for ourselves in the future.
16. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?
At this point, no we do not.
17. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient?
We are hard workers, capable gardeners, and have owned livestock in the past. We are looking forward to getting back to it.
18. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy?
At this point, we do not.
19. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to?
We have not, and I'm not sure we will ever be completely off grid, but maybe?
20. Do you make things yourself to save money?
Whenever we can we make and/or repair things to save money.
21. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending?
Yes, we definitely think more carefully about how/where we are spending our money.

Tehwrd

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Welcome from Washington state!
My husband and I met in Yelm, WA! We worked at a summer camp there for a couple of years. Mt. Rainier has always been a favorite spot of ours!!

Latest posts