Hello from Michigan

Sammster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i already said hello and welcome in the other thread but i just will say it again Sam... :) hello and welcome to SS from mid-Michigan. :)

i lived in the UP (was at MTU) for 15 years, but back here now.

this area is mostly agricultural with some woodlands around so plenty of deer all the time.

very flat land.
Thank you, flowerbug! ♡

Our summer cabin is in St Helen. We have 10 acres, in a 2500 acre, deep-woods community. Our idea of heaven. It's not accessible in the winter. Well... it  maybe could be, with a snowmobile. Just outside of our gated woods-community is a small, beautiful lake. I'd honestly live up there, if I could

Dreamz

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome Welcome Sammster from SW Michigan. I might know you from BYC. Of not June 17th is the Michigan get together. It's lots of fun. Here the seed swap will be in February. I forgot the day but @flowerbug will post it.

Sammster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:welcome Welcome Sammster from SW Michigan. I might know you from BYC. Of not June 17th is the Michigan get together. It's lots of fun. Here the seed swap will be in February. I forgot the day but @flowerbug will post it.
Oh, yes. The member with the beautiful avatar ♡
Thank you for the welcome!

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you, flowerbug! ♡

Our summer cabin is in St Helen. We have 10 acres, in a 2500 acre, deep-woods community. Our idea of heaven. It's not accessible in the winter. Well... it  maybe could be, with a snowmobile. Just outside of our gated woods-community is a small, beautiful lake. I'd honestly live up there, if I could
8478ED1F-195C-4156-947F-70227DA8420A.jpeg

In the 70’s, when I was in 2nd through 6th grade, my Dad owned the Gulf station on the right there. (This view is facing south.) Of course, this photo is much older than that.

I haven’t been to St. Helen in over 30 years, but my brother visits a friend of his there regularly.

Sammster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
View attachment 22516
In the 70’s, when I was in 2nd through 6th grade, my Dad owned the Gulf station on the right there. (This view is facing south.) Of course, this photo is much older than that.

I haven’t been to St. Helen in over 30 years, but my brother visits a friend of his there regularly.
Oh wow! Very cool! Thank you for sharing. Yup - it's changed, a little. And.... we're the same age, you and I

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Good morning! I'm migrating over from Backyard Chickens. I am not a homesteader, but I live a simple life, and wish to learn more self-sustaining methods. We live in the burbs of SE Michigan, but also have a cabin in mid-Michigan.

We've always kept a small garden. I am new to canning, freeze-drying and bread making. We 2 golden retrievers, 9 hens, 1 parakeet, 1 canary and 1 bossy cockatoo. We have 3 grown sons and 1 grandson. I am an artist ~ painting and glass.

I'm excited to learn about this site! There's so much to learn!
Welcome you to SS 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was a member of BYC, then the other sites, while living in the middle of my small town. I kept hens in the backyard, garden and raised lots of vegetables. Not a homestead, but as close as I could get. You can do a lot with even a small suburban lot. Welcome to SS!