Hello From Michigan

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
After lurking here for a few months I finally decided to register.
My name is Rich. I'm 60 years old as of last December. I am slowly and steadily building, what you might refer to as a "hobby farm" with an eye to reducing my dependance on conventional food and energy sources. I own 30 acres, ten that I lease to a local farmer for tilling, (corn/soybeans) 2.5 which is the yard and the remainder out back for my other hobby deer hunting. A creek runs through the property. There are two ponds "out back" stocked with good bluegill, bass, northern pike and perch population. They are not on my property but I have the landowners permission to fish them and do quite regularly. I save everything. The local disposal company charges $8.18 per pickup of my "herby kerby" and that amount was my totel trash disposal bill last year. (I think one time they picked it up and forgot to charge me.hehe. I won't tell if you don't) Many of you may recognize me from the BYC forum where I have been a member for a few months. I registered here in an effort to communicate with others who are more sympathetic to my long term goals. I am planning a chicken coop this spring and down the road I will be looking into raising a few hogs. I do not view livestock as pets but as a valuable resource with which to feed myself and barter for other necessities. I look forward to meeting you and sharing ideas in the future.
Should anyone have an interest you can view some photos of my backyard here. I have not yet constructed a page on this forum.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=45336

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Welcome! We can be a strange bunch every once in awhile, but we are fun :D