Hello from NC

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Jump right on in here and let us know what you are up to with your SS lifestyle. We got folks with LOTS of opinions...some are ss and some are just opinionated!
In either case, :welcome
Hope you'll enjoy our trip.Don't forget to answer the question list at the beginning of the "journals" section so we can get to know you better!

PRIORITY:ROUTINE
Trim sends
1808_images.jpeg

//BT//

dwbonfire

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
:frow Also from NC, right on the SC line! Just joined too and wanting to be more self sufficient, and I am learning alot! Also on BYC and BYH.

daver

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Well, thanks for all of the warm welcomes.

We have 2.5 acres of which about an acre is cleared. The rest is a former wood lot and loaded with pines. There are some issues with drainage that I need to work on. Hopefully I can find some practical answers here.

Got into chickens this past year and I am just loving that. We have two Light Brahmas and three Buff Orps with a light Brahma Cockeral. They are giving us a little better than a dozen eggs a week. Would like to expand the flock a little and let it become self sustaining.

I have had successful gardens in the past but this year was a total disaster. Not discouraged though, just need a better plan and more thought. Thinking about raised bed gardening.

Thanks again for the warm welcomes.

Dave

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
daver said:
I have had successful gardens in the past but this year was a total disaster. Not discouraged though, just need a better plan and more thought. Thinking about raised bed gardening.
If your soil is anything like ours (i.e., rocks & clay), I would suggest doing the raised-bed thing. Made all the difference in the world for us. :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
OH Yea, nothing like Carolina RED CLAY to make gardening wonderful! :)

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You ain't jokin'. That's why we only have 5 fruit trees; it takes HOURS to dig holes in the yard (DH & I trading turns with the pick-ax). :he

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hear ya. LONG ago we did by hand, NOW it is always the tractor. whenever we have to dig hubby gets out the post hole digger on the tractor. easiest way to do it cause to try to tackle this soil is insanity.

and the red clay in the house...oh my lordy it is impossible to deal with and on clothes.

Our hay barns and horse barns, when it rains I just stay away til it dries out cause it is a river of red. I tell ya that ground will get the better of me some day! :lol:

and it EATS gravel. I tell ya no matter how many $$$ we put into gravel the clay eats it! :(

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh, don't get me started!!! The red dust that gets sucked in from the furnace/ac & then everything in the house is covered with it....I've never lived anywhere so dusty in my life. And it's impossible to get out of laundry, bleach doesn't touch it! As for the mud, before we put in the brick walkway, I had boots sucked right off my feet. :rant

And yes, the gravel just disappears, all the way to China I'm guessing...:somad

Latest posts