Hello From New Zealand.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Would love to hear and see more of your place and activities there! I too have always wanted to see NZ, from the pics it's a most beautiful and rugged place. I especially want to see your waterwheel setup....I've lived near a town that used to get all their power from a waterwheel/mill house and it's still in place, with the owners of the mill now the only consumers of the power generated there.

barefoothaven

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My BIL lived in New Zealand for about 5 years, on the South island I believe. He told my DH he loved the country, people, climate, everything down there and would love to move back there. He is English and back living in England now.
The South Island has some beautiful scenery.
We thought about moving down to the South Island but DH doesn't like the snowy cold winters.
Where we are up the far North is a bit more tropical but we live in a valley & it still gets quite cold here. Lots of rain.

barefoothaven

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Would love to hear and see more of your place and activities there! I too have always wanted to see NZ, from the pics it's a most beautiful and rugged place. I especially want to see your waterwheel setup....I've lived near a town that used to get all their power from a waterwheel/mill house and it's still in place, with the owners of the mill now the only consumers of the power generated there.
It is a beautiful & rugged place. I love it. So many little magical places tucked away off main roads. And no matter where you go compared to some countries, it's not really too far to drive till you're at a beach.
I have started my journal in the journal section & have a few pics there plus plenty to come.
I'll be posting more of the water wheel in the future :)
The wheel that was here when we moved in was almost done for & didn't give us enough power to keep a light bulb going. It was an undershot wheel.
The wheel we have now is an overshot. 2.4 m in diameter. The wheel itself is made from marine ply. When we first hooked it up we got a reading of 23 amps at the wheel but you lose energy with distance but we still run a chest freezer, fridge freezer, washing machine, vacuum, big screen TV, laptops etc. And our batteries charge overnight so it's great.
We are looking at hooking the hot water cylinder up to dump excess power into that. When it's sunny like today with the solar panels, the water wheel free wheels all day because our batteries are full.