Hello from North Texas

Sam-I-Am

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hello, self-sufficient folk!

I just joined BackYard Chickens yesterday and noted that my husband and I are very much into self-sufficiency. One of the mods (Sumi) suggested I come over here and have a look. I like what I see!

We currently live on 1/4 of an acre in the middle of the DFW concrete jungle. But we hope that within a year's time we will be able to achieve our goal of owning ~20 acres well outside the jungle. We are both country kids at heart (I grew up in Northern California; he in Minnesota) so we are eager to get back to our roots. I want a giant garden. And an orchard. And a vineyard. And a berry patch. And chickens. And goats. And I want to learn to hunt. He wants to be able to go off-grid, so we are planning rain catchment systems and solar power and wind power as well.

We are both geeks; we own an IT consulting business and have far too many geek gadgets. (And my husband has a lot of experience with wireless networks so he's planning to make us wireless on our property...and have enough bandwidth to sell to the neighbors!) We have two of the most incredible babies in the world (they are 3 and 9 months) and of course I am not biased at all when I say that. I love gardening and the small space I have is covered with plants both ornamental and tasty. I haven't been able to convince my husband to turn the front yard into a raised bed, though. Oh well. ;)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Welcome. Look forward to hearing about your adventures.

Support

Almost Self-Reliant
Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to SS!