Hello from Northern Canada

heirloomgal

Power Conserver
Reaction score
In February of this year, we got to -6F!! MINUS SIX. I've never in my life experienced minus degrees and it is fine with me if I never do again. 2 ice storms and 2 snow storms, 10 inches of ice and snow. Y'all can have your cold, long winters--keep them up there!
When we get to the minus 6 department, in April or May, it is so exhilarating! After those minus double digits for so many months, for any single number we do this:weee:weee:weee
My mum told me once that when I was born ('76) the belief at the time among all the mothers was that young babies sleep better in the cold. So they would bundle up the baby in winter wear, put the baby in the carriage with blankets, and set outside the front door in the cold. In winter. To sleep. They would check every so many minutes we were alright and we'd have most of our naps out in the 'fresh air'. This even my own mum did! Lol Seems insane to me now, like wowzers crazy, but I've met several ladies of my mums' generation who told me they did it too. They get shocked by my surprise. Despite my early exposures though, I still find anything colder than -20 nearly painful.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When we get to the minus 6 department, in April or May, it is so exhilarating! After those minus double digits for so many months, for any single number we do this:weee:weee:weee
My mum told me once that when I was born ('76) the belief at the time among all the mothers was that young babies sleep better in the cold. So they would bundle up the baby in winter wear, put the baby in the carriage with blankets, and set outside the front door in the cold. In winter. To sleep. They would check every so many minutes we were alright and we'd have most of our naps out in the 'fresh air'. This even my own mum did! Lol Seems insane to me now, like wowzers crazy, but I've met several ladies of my mums' generation who told me they did it too. They get shocked by my surprise. Despite my early exposures though, I still find anything colder than -20 nearly painful.
I have read that they still do that... in Finland maybe.

:idunno

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi everybody,

After spending the last few months on TEG, I was curious about this sister site. I've peeked in a few times now and have enjoyed reading through many of the posts on here. Such a great site! One of my primary interests in self sufficiency is food security, particularly in regards to OP seeds; selecting, ways of increasing/speeding germination, harvest techniques and ideal storage. I'm trying to build a heritage seed ark. I'm about 5 years into 'construction'.

I live in the suburbs, but I'm using up the property as best I can for growing as large a diversity of food and seed crops as I can. I very much try to live by the idea of 'food as medicine'. I'd love to have some chickens, but zoning won't allow it here. Yet! I'm hoping that may change someday as appeals continue to be put forward to that original decision.

Being northerly the shorter season is a bit of a challenge, but I have a small 12 X 8 greenhouse that helps me add a bit of extra time to the season. Overcoming and outsmarting wildlife pillaging my plants and seeds is one of my next major goals!

welcome aboard! :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You celebrate at single digits, I am struggling to survive it. We aren’t set up for that kind of cold. No snow plows here either, snow shuts everything down.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

when i was a baby i was having an alergic reaction to something and was turning blue. my Mom called the doc and he said to throw me out in the snow and she did. i'm still here so it worked...

heirloomgal

Power Conserver
Reaction score
You celebrate at single digits, I am struggling to survive it. We aren’t set up for that kind of cold. No snow plows here either, snow shuts everything down.
How rare is it to get into those low temperatures? Do you get regular frost at a point in your growing season?

Latest posts