Hello from Ohio

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
First time writing on something like this but figured why not.
To start is there an easy way to harvest hickory nuts. I have a ton of trees and it's a shame to let the squirrel's get all of them.

welcome to SS from mid-Michigan. sorry i don't have any experience with harvesting hickory nuts but i think other than fencing the area or sitting there and picking them up as they fall perhaps you can figure out how they look when they're ready and pick them off the tree right before they're ready to fall? some people have dogs and you could perhaps sit there under the tree with the dog and enjoy the day? bring an umbrella large enough for the both of you. :)

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hello and welcome @ElderEric! I have one hickory nut tree and don't have a problem not getting any. Sure some are dehulled by the squirrels, but in a good year there's enough for us too. We also have walnut and oak trees, so maybe with the other food sources that helps.

This reminds me that I have saved some nuts that are currently in the freezer to start seedlings.

ElderEric

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hello and welcome @ElderEric! I have one hickory nut tree and don't have a problem not getting any. Sure some are dehulled by the squirrels, but in a good year there's enough for us too. We also have walnut and oak trees, so maybe with the other food sources that helps.

This reminds me that I have saved some nuts that are currently in the freezer to start seedlings.
I don't think I worded the post correctly. I have no problem collecting them. It getting them out of the shells that's the problem. I probably have 20 trees each about 50-80 feet tall.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't think I worded the post correctly. I have no problem collecting them. It getting them out of the shells that's the problem. I probably have 20 trees each about 50-80 feet tall.
I think you can just peel the hull off, and use a nutcracker for the hard shell. I don't eat them, but have gotten them out of the hulls and shells before.

ElderEric

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I think you can just peel the hull off, and use a nutcracker for the hard shell. I don't eat them, but have gotten them out of the hulls and shells before.
Yes the outside comes right off. It's the hard shell. Im just trying to think of an easy way.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Make a chicken wire sack and hang the sack in a dry location, that gets good air flow like under a lean-to. When they are dry, the husks should open like a flower. Then you just peel the husks, and toss them into the garden or compost heap. Ofcourse you already know how to crack them to get to the nuts.

Welcome to the dirt under your finger nails forum 😊

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Latest posts