Hello From Pakistan

Farmer31

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
:welcome

Do you plant heirloom seeds that have been passed down thru family? Or do you have to buy all your seed?
You see there are diseases in plants which can pass on so govt usually discourages to grow unregistered varieties of crops. Otherwise we are free to use whatever we want. Its demand and supply.

If we have seeds we sow them if not buy em

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm sorry I don't mean to be rude, but I'm very curious about what you mean by having to plant only 'registered' seeds. I can understand about diseases, but are you saying you have to have government approval for any seeds before planting? Even if the seeds were handed down from your great grandparents, for instance?

Farmer31

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
there is something called recommended varieties. Sometimes there are some varieties of certain things are prone to pest attack or bad yield or even spread of bad characteristics in other plants so these varieties are discouraged by govt.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farmer31 said:
there is something called recommended varieties. Sometimes there are some varieties of certain things are prone to pest attack or bad yield or even spread of bad characteristics in other plants so these varieties are discouraged by govt.
Does that mean it's illegal, or the govt just says "pretty please, don't plant this kind"...?