Hello from Quebec! I'm Mart.

Mart

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm a homesteader from Quebec. Moved from the city to the farm a couple of years ago so we're very new to all of this. We have chickens for eggs, rabbits for meat and goats for milk. We also have a rather large garden and we preserve most of our harvest either by dehydrating, canning or root cellaring. We also have a few apple trees on the land and bushes of wild raspberries and blackberries all over the place. We home school our 5 years old twins and we are hoping to raise them with the same goal in mind : trying to live as "sustainably" and healthily as possible. We are going to have a couple of bee hives this Summer and we are hoping to plant a few more trees and grape vines.

My first language is French and I insist on making this clear because sometimes I may sound a bit off and it's probably a language thing, but I try my best to seem articulate. We also have a blog (a-self-sufficient-life.blogspot.com) on which we share with friends and family the progress we are making on the farm and the things we are learning and/or putting into place.

We try to be as independent from fossil fuels as possible. We harvest our fire wood with axes and hand saws, husband is currently learning to build log shelters with trees from the wood lot. My mom and her partner are moving in with us this Summer and our little "tribe" of 6 people will be in place and ready to kick sustainable ass.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
:welcome from Sunny South Jersey. And, don't worry about being clear. Most of us aren't that clear all the time as it is. :hide

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi Mart! Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will have a lot of interesting experiences to share. It soiunds like you are really living the SS life! I am a newly-retired empty-nester who has only begun my SS journey in the last two years. What has been most difficult for you to change, in becoming self-sufficient?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:welcome Hi, Mart - from out on the other end of Canada. I'm in the mountain region of southeastern BC. Spring is coming here... in fits & starts.