Hello from Southern Ohio

HomesteaderJeff

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Just found this site from a link on BYC. I have a small place on 20 acres. solar passive house that I heat with wood only. Gardens are in and growing. I just finished converting an old shed into a coop and now have 27 NHR and 17 Pearl Guineas. This fall the fruit trees go in and next spring will be adding more gardens. This is only my 3rd year here but hoping that in 2 more years I can be completely self sufficient. I'm looking forward to reading through the threads and getting some ideas from others.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
HomesteaderJeff said:
Just found this site from a link on BYC. I have a small place on 20 acres. solar passive house that I heat with wood only. Gardens are in and growing. I just finished converting an old shed into a coop and now have 27 NHR and 17 Pearl Guineas. This fall the fruit trees go in and next spring will be adding more gardens. This is only my 3rd year here but hoping that in 2 more years I can be completely self sufficient. I'm looking forward to reading through the threads and getting some ideas from others.
I donot think your fruit trees will be producing that soon, but welcome to the group.~gd

sleuth

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
HomesteaderJeff said:
Whereabouts are ya? I'm in Clinton County.

HomesteaderJeff

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Ty Denise, GD, Yes I knew that but have to start somewhere :). Hopefully in 5 years all my trees will be producing. Even on a small scale it will help. Slueth, I am in Ross county. Nice to see neighbors here :).

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HomesteaderJeff said:
Hi, Jeff. Welcome. :frow

Good to hear of your involvement with food supply. Sounds like you're off to a great start.

Some of us here would like to hear about (and see pics) of your homestead infrastructure, too - you know, stuff like buildings and building projects, homestead layout, shop and shop projects, water systems, machinery, vehicles, salvage and re-purposing ideas, techniques, all that sort of thing.

Our archives - particularly the Do-It-Yourself and Tool Shed subforums - have this kind of content (it's scattered among other subforums, too).

Again, welcome.

HomesteaderJeff

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Ho Joel, I'm not sure how much I can contribute in all those areas. I bought this house, its a solar passive design, built into a hill. Last 2 years I have used 3 cord of wood a year to heat. Its my only source of heat and is very comfortable.
There were 2 outbuildings on the property when I bought it. One I just turned into a chicken coop. Didnt do much to it to be honest and it'll be a work in progress for the rest of this year as funds permit.
Water is county at the moment although I dont drink it and go to a spring to fill jugs for my drinking water. One of the top priorities for me now is getting my own clean water in place. I do have a well that isnt hooked up but living in farm country I am certain its probably contaminated with pesticides and fertilizers. I am looking for good ideas on catching and filtering water for drinking so if you know of any ideas please share. :).