Hello from the buckeye state

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hello and WELCOME from Texas. what all do you have on the homestead?

I have a small garden, a few rabbits, some chickens and a weedy looking orchard. I've recently been thinking on quail but haven't made up my mind

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
awesome. got any tips on blueberries? mine all die

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Welcome! I am in WI! I also have blueberries. I can't keep up with them. The previous owner was planning a U-Pick and planted 400. We lost a few to winter kill and I'm not willing to pay for more, so I am experimenting with propagating from cuttings. So far they look okay! I'm way behind on pruning. Didn't get any done last year and only have a dozen done this year. Should already be done. Uff dah!

Also have sheep, 2 goats, and just got 5 Silkie chicks for fun. DH is so burnt out on chickens, so we might never have more than just a couple pets for me. I used to have rabbits too. I miss them. :(

So I will be following you on the forum since we have plants and animals in common! Glad to have you here!

What sheep, goat, chicken and rabbit breeds do you raise?

Sassafras II

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow that's a lot of bluberries! I only have four, I would like to double if not triple that number this year as we eat a lot!
I have Finnsheep and Awassi/East Frisian sheep, Nigerian Dwarf and Mini Nubian goats, American chinchilla, French Angora and Holland lop rabbits.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
One of my rams has a bit of Finn in him. Otherwise they're commercial mix. I think Ile de France is the most predominant breed I have, but the most of mine are 1/4 that or less. Other ram is 1/2 Ile de France. They are white face with pretty dishes faces like Arabian horses.

Our 2 pasture pet goats are Nigerian Dwarf wethers. I raised French Angoras about a decade ago and my most recent rabbit experience was with Holland Lops and Netherland Dwarfs. I miss the buns, I gave them up due to health problems. The Silkie chicks are an experiment. If I am okay with their care through winter, I might get rabbits again!

Mini Nubian goats sound awesome! My goats are 7 years old, still going strong. But someday I'll need to find other goats. I have a hillside area for the goats - they keep the brush controlled and mow it for us.