Hello from The Piney Woods

SHEPARD HILL HOMESTEAD

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Howdy y'all, we are a small homestead in the Piney Woods part of East Texas. We have some Dogs, Chickens, new Chicks, Garden getting ready and Fruit Orchard starting out, oops, almost forgot the bees. I was brought up in my Grand Pa's chicken farm and have always taken pride in being able to provide food from the ground and livestock.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome. Snow country here, won't see the ground thawed until mid April. Lots of Texas folks here. If you put general location in your profile, it will help others to connect with you and provide pertinent info.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from a fellow Texas living Behind the Pine Curtain! LOL LOL We are just north of Tyler, where are you? We have Katahdin hair sheep, hens, horses, and livestock guard dogs. Glad to have you here!

SHEPARD HILL HOMESTEAD

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I'm just North of Conroe. We have a small Homestead starting out. 2 Chicken Flocks. One 2yr old flock, one 2 week old flock, dogs and bees. We have a few Garder spots and getting my Outbuilding for a Tractor and storage which frees up a back of the property storage shed for some Goats later this year. Also adding a Fruit orchard with 5 or 6 varieties. Trying to get as self sufficient as we can and still hold a full time job. The Homestead is my relaxation. Getting physically exhausted on the weekends allows me to get mentally exhausted at work during the week. Fresh air, great neighbors, and the family close by makes it all a great place

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm just North of Conroe. We have a small Homestead starting out. 2 Chicken Flocks. One 2yr old flock, one 2 week old flock, dogs and bees. We have a few Garder spots and getting my Outbuilding for a Tractor and storage which frees up a back of the property storage shed for some Goats later this year. Also adding a Fruit orchard with 5 or 6 varieties. Trying to get as self sufficient as we can and still hold a full time job. The Homestead is my relaxation. Getting physically exhausted on the weekends allows me to get mentally exhausted at work during the week. Fresh air, great neighbors, and the family close by makes it all a great place
Sounds wonderful.

I like the piney woods of Texas... but SANDY soil!!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We lived in Livingston for 35 years! My sister lives right outside of the Conroe city limits. We moved here 6 years ago. I'm glad that your homestead is giving you such happiness.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:welcome Welcome from the pretty Shenandoah Valley of Va..... "old HIPPIE type" ...... somewhat self sufficient recycler, and food canner/freezer from WAY BACK.... gardens, chickens, sheep, cow/calf operation, have had hogs and turkeys. Just am getting into a "new" 1920's house on a couple acres....not on any of the farm properties we rent/own for the cattle/farm operation, so will be able to have what I want again....you and read my journal on BYH....

All y'all TEXANS need to have a real old fashioned summer BBQ...... you will get busted for too many people in one place....:lol::gig:gig:gig:clap:clap:clap

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
No we won't. The mask mandate has been lifted, if there is a limit on how many people in a gathering, I don't know anything about it. So bring on the BBQ!