Hello from the UK

more_frosting

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello from the UK.

For almost 8 years I've been growing fruit and veg on my allotment. In 2017, I took it a little further and decided to get some livestock. Limited with space, I decided to get a small flock of chickens. The flock has since grown in size and this year I'm looking at hatching my own chicks.

Looking forward to see what everyone else is up to.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome. Sounds like you are enjoying your allotment. Will you be hatching with a broody hen or an incubator? I'll be hatching eggs this spring. Using an incubator unless one of my hens surprises me by going broody. I'll be hatching chicken eggs from my own flock, and am seeking fertile duck eggs as well.

If you haven't already looked at these topics/options for chicken management, you might enjoy looking at these: Make your own incubator. If you could re-wire a lamp, you can make a great incubator! Brooding chicks with a heating pad instead of a heat lamp. (check out "Mother Heating Pad" articles and threads on Back Yard Chicken) Deep composting litter in coop and run, predator proofing your chicken coop, and fermented feed. I enjoy the research regarding poultry keeping as much as the doing!

more_frosting

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome all.

Welcome. Sounds like you are enjoying your allotment. Will you be hatching with a broody hen or an incubator? I'll be hatching eggs this spring. Using an incubator unless one of my hens surprises me by going broody. I'll be hatching chicken eggs from my own flock, and am seeking fertile duck eggs as well.

If you haven't already looked at these topics/options for chicken management, you might enjoy looking at these: Make your own incubator. If you could re-wire a lamp, you can make a great incubator! Brooding chicks with a heating pad instead of a heat lamp. (check out "Mother Heating Pad" articles and threads on Back Yard Chicken) Deep composting litter in coop and run, predator proofing your chicken coop, and fermented feed. I enjoy the research regarding poultry keeping as much as the doing!

I picked up an incubator from another allotment holder, so I'll be giving that a try. Unfortunately, I'm unable to keep a cockerel on my allotment due to association rules, so I'll be buying fertile eggs from a local supplier.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Welcome from Ireland :frow What are you growing and thinking of going this year?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I picked up an incubator from another allotment holder, so I'll be giving that a try
Hope that works out well for you. What kind of eggs are you thinking about hatching?

I've recently hatched some quail and I have a few chicken eggs in the incubator now. It's addicting!

Latest posts