Hello from the woods of Maine!

mainemama

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hello! Was browsing and looking for articles on DIYing products for my home and stumbled into this forum. My husband and I decided about six years ago to start becoming more self sufficient and due to a sad but fortunate circumstance, ending up moving from the Midwest to the least populated county in Maine and into the house my husband grew up in last June. I have learned canning and dehydrating, making my own shampoo, conditioner, lotions, etc, and am starting on cleaning products, laundry soap, that sort of thing. Can't wait to get my garden in this year!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
welcome from mid-Michigan. having lived in a more remote place for years (some years ago now i've since moved several times) i understand how it can go. it sure can be a different pace of living.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from western Washington state.

A friend of mine is from Aroostook county. Is your soil rocky like it was at his family's places? Looked like glacial till. I've got that here as well. It was beautiful when he took us around to various places.

mainemama

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome from western Washington state.

A friend of mine is from Aroostook county. Is your soil rocky like it was at his family's places? Looked like glacial till. I've got that here as well. It was beautiful when he took us around to various places.
We have rocks here, too. I agree, it is absolutely gorgeous!