hello from Wales

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
welcome to SS from mid-Michigan. :) i am full of beans.

[edit to put this link in :) ]

Red Beans -n Rice, Navy Beans -n Cornbeard, Pinto Beans -n Cornbread, Black Eyed Peas -n Cornbread, Green Beans and Cornbread. Wait... maybe I like Cornbread 😂

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Perris

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Howdy and welcome!

Peninsula.. as in stuck out close to the water and lots of wind and rain and storms? Or more protected?

I am close enough to the water that I get a good deal of wind, and rain, and snow :hide but the water also helps to moderate the temperatures.

The water i look out at is a bay, so truly terrible storms are blocked.

I would guess that you are far enough north on the coast there, that Ireland should block truly bad Atlantic storms?

Are things there still Autumn, or already winter?
Thanks for the welcome Alaskan :frow

Yes indeed, water on 3 sides, and we too are looking down onto a bay. We're about 70m above sea level, on the south slope of a hill which rises to about 150m in the middle of the peninsula, and the headland of the bay is about the same height, so we are quite exposed, but only to stuff coming from the south, which may be fierce but is warmer than the stuff that blows in from the north! Fortunately we only get a couple of storms a year, and tho they may bring some trees down, they don't usually cause any structural damage.

Autumn is just starting here, the 'season of mist and mellow fruitfulness', but the nights are drawing in fast. What time are dawn and dusk where you are? Here we're currently on 7.30 am to 6.50 pm.

Perris

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We are about the same sunrise/sunset. LOL Here in east Texas today's sunrise is 7:22 and sunset is 6:54
that's amazing; I guess it's because we're not long past the equinox. You must be a lot further south than us. We're at 52N, about level with some of Alaska, Newfoundland etc..

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
that's amazing; I guess it's because we're not long past the equinox. You must be a lot further south than us. We're at 52N, about level with some of Alaska, Newfoundland etc..
I am at latitude 59 so a little further north.

I just discovered the problem with discussing day length.... there are different ways to measure day length.

Most people (and when you do a Google search ) it shows the length of day including civil twilight which starts when the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon and ends when the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon.

If you compare day length between places, using only the "day" which measures when the sun is right at horizon, then the difference between one latitude and another isn't as large.

Kind of mind blowing actually.

Right now my place at 59 degrees latitude the daylength is

7:54 am -7:49 pm
Or
8:36 am - 7:07 pm

Way down at Latitute 29

Daylength
6:56 am -7:18 pm
Or
7:20 am - 6:54 pm

Last edited:

Perris

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am at latitude 59 so a little further north.

I just discovered the problem with discussing day length.... there are different ways to measure day length.

Most people (and when you do a Google search ) it shows the length of day including civil twilight which starts when the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon and ends when the sun is 6 degrees below the horizon.

If you compare day length between places, using only the "day" which measures when the sun is right at horizon, then the difference between one latitude and another isn't as large.

Kind of mind blowing actually.

Right now my place at 59 degrees latitude the daylength is

7:54 am -7:49 pm
Or
8:36 am - 7:07 pm

Way down at Latitute 29

Daylength
6:56 am -7:18 pm
Or
7:20 am - 6:54 pm
very interesting - that twilight inclusion makes quite a difference!
I take the figures the Met Office puts out, and they label them sunrise and sunset so I guess it's a horizon calculation.