Hello from west Texas

HornyToadAcres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Making the rounds - just joined BYH and trying to get back into BYC.

We are going deeper into raising/growing our own food
as well as sharing/selling the extra.

We have had chickens. I just added meat rabbits.
And planted bamboo.

Gardening in a challenge in the high desert of west Texas.
Everything gets micro irrigated!

~Karen

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Maine: 4 seasons: Mud, Bug, Tourist, and SNOW. Ground frozen Nov thru mid April. State bird is the Mosquito.

Much of the state is glacial rock: which means that there is LOTS of rocks, interspersed with clay or soil. I have high water table, vernal pools in the undeveloped area of my land. Very poor soil, especially for anyone with aspirations to garden or farm. I am blessed to have about 2 acres cleared, and a nice garden spot with gently south slope, imported sandy loam, good sun.

We also have a Black Fly Breeder's Association. (every spring, an article is published in local papers about the scheduled meetings, or seminars, or elections for new board members. Those who are not familiar with the BFB Assoc. go absolutely ballistic. If you are not familiar with black flies: they are about 1/8" long, swarm like crazy, crawl in your ears, up your nose, in your hair, in your eyes, in your clothing and suck your blood after chewing a hole in your skin. I am so sensitive to them that my skin burns just from having them land on my skin.)

HornyToadAcres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In Wisconsin they used to say there were two seasons: Winter and Road Construction.
But seriously, I found out why people who move to Florida complain about the bugs, the heat and no seasons.
But not the mosquitoes cuz yeah, WI had seriously huge and hungry mozzies.

and the black flies sound horrible!

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Vermont state bird is the mosquito..... really, I thought that VT had a lock on the mosquito as the state bird.... They do grow them big up north....!!!!! HA HA.
Hated the black flies.... don't have them here in Va....Had the deer flies in CT.... they were wicked. Have some here but not real bad. Horn flies and stable flies here for 6-8 months.... drive the animals nuts.
Had some pretty good soil in CT... lots of fieldstone for stone walls and such, but not bad in between for growing garden.
Have alot of rock/ledge here in western Va between the Blue Ridge and Appalachian mts.... soil can be thin but will grow pretty good gardens. Lots of animal manures/poultry litter here... some clay in some parts of the state.... used to make alot of bricks here in Va....
We have 4 pretty nice seasons here in the western part. Winter is shorter than some areas, but we have had 2 snows that last 2 weeks.... 4-6 inches each time; spring seems to be short going right into summer lately.... summers here on this side of the Blue Ridge 10+ degrees lower than the eastern part and not near as humid. Fall is pretty...
Like the overall weather/temps....

Latest posts