Hello--long time no "see" updates

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
As you may or may not have noticed--I have not been on here much in the past few weeks.
With the kids home for winter holidays, I can't spend alot of time on the computer, and still give them the attention they deserve. That being said, I have also found it liberating to not be on the computer so much--there are many other things that I have found to do that would not have otherwise got done.

Also, I got myself a full time job and I start on Monday Jan 12. This is all in part of becoming more SS, as it will help us pay down debt--or at least not get into any more debt, as our basement needs fixing among other things.

Hubby and I have had serious talks about our future,and we have decided that as soon as he retires we will be moving back up north. Our plans are to buy some land now (or soon)and use it as a hunting/vacation spot until we retire, then build an off grid home, and live off the land --so to speak.

So we have devised 15 year plan.--fix basement, pay off mortgage (our only real debt), buy land up north for reasonable amount of money (cash)
He has decided to hold off on the plane until we retire (which is a good thing b/c I am not working to buy him a plane.)

Within the next 15 years, we will obviously have other large expenses, like new vehicles,etc., but we buy used and buy cash. Without any unforeseen major expenses, we will be debt free in 10 years. and that is with me only working three of them. The other five will be for saving money to build our off grid home.

I am sorta looking forward to working. It will help us achieve our goals quicker, although I will miss being home with my animals, but what are ya gonna do. Two of my rabbits are now pregnant, and they should kindle the last week in January. Of my 9 laying hens, I am getting consistently now-8 eggs a day. I have customers for my extra meat rabbits, and customers lined up for meat birds, and sell extra eggs to guys at hubby's work,so essentially we can eat rabbits, eggs, and chicken for free ( the profit I make from them offset the cost of raising them enough so that we eat for free.)

With my garden being a bust last year b/c of unseasonable amounts of rain, we are in the process of building up the garden area (we would move it, but three acres don't stretch very far-hence the garden has to stay where it is, so we are dealing with the possibility of it flooding again, and building it up). Hopefully even with work, I will still have time to maintain the garden.

I have found a bred dexter cow for a really good price, but will have to hold off on her until we see how my work schedule goes--although she won't be ready to milk till summer--I have to see whether i will have the time to dedicate to her and the calf with working. If all goes well, then a lean-to shed will need to be built in one of our paddocks for her.

Plans for this spring include building a "pigpen"--as soon as the ground thaws, as the weiner is coming this spring. Also, we are building a set-up so we can process our own meat birds. It has to be efficient b/c we will doing 25-50 at a time.

Although we process our rabbits in our workshop, we could benefit from doing them in the chicken shack --we'll see. I have toyed around with the idea of tanning the hides from the rabbits, but I can't seem to get the hides off in one piece--they just rip on me.

My project for this weekend is a solar heater

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-produce-easy-free-home-heat.

My dining room is the coldest room in my house, and ironically gets the most sunlight.--french doors facing south, and large picture window facing west. the kids and I will build this on the weekend. I have all the materials except plexiglass, and I am trying to think of a way around it-(it;s expensive) I think I will use thick plastic--the kind you wrap insulation in walls with and reinforce it with welding rods or something that we have lying around)

Well, right now, I am off to make some "make ahead meals" for the freezer so my family doesn't go into shock from having to make their own meals. On the list today are lasagna and shepherd's pie--two of each. also, I am making pita bread, normal bread, cookies and muffins. Better get going...

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
It must feel great to have your long-term plans worked out. They sound great! You are a very hard worker and your family is lucky! If you have a moment, would you mind posting your pita bread recipe in the recipes section?

Best of luck to you!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Good to hear from you! Sounds like you've got your life all planned out :) (I mean that in a good way :))

Vapor barrier plastic is not very thermally stable -- it stretches a whole lot when heated (and shrinks when cooled). Also it is not tremendously transparent.

I can't realistically view the video you cite, as I am on dialup, but unless the design requires a truly vast area of collectore space, you might find Suntuf cheaper than plexiglass. It is like $36 for a 2x8 sheet or $50 for a 2x12 sheet. It is very easy to work with, and rated for temperatures up to 130 C (270 F), and I've seen photos of passive solar heaters people've made using it. Home Depot etc carry it on the rack. (DO NOT use Palruf, its cheaper cousin, which is not able to stand high temperatures. Palruf has a wavy profile; Suntuf has a sort of squared-off crenellated type of corrugation)

Or, really, what about old windows? I suppose they might have to be single-pane, but they're out there. Old storm window sashes, or old singlepane sliders.

Good luck, let us know how it works!,

Pat

poppycat

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Great to hear from you. I've been wondering how you've been. Sounds like the last month has been very productive!

Keep us posted on your progress and projects :)

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
My project for this weekend is a solar heater

http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-produce-easy-free-home-heat.

My dining room is the coldest room in my house, and ironically gets the most sunlight.--french doors facing south, and large picture window facing west. the kids and I will build this on the weekend. I have all the materials except plexiglass, and I am trying to think of a way around it-(it;s expensive) I think I will use thick plastic--the kind you wrap insulation in walls with and reinforce it with welding rods or something that we have lying around)
I can't view the video either and I am on DSL. Is this an older expired or broken link? The other videos on that site come up fine. I would love to see this solar heater!! Maybe you could describe the heater?

Edit to add- I tried the site again and was able to view. 5 times is the charm?
Rats, I just took all my rolls of pennies to the bank. I love these projects!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey miss

that is great you have some serious future plans to strive for. I hope when you start looking you find that "bestest, greatest, most wonderful" piece of land for you up north!!

post when you can but with working full time it will be hard to get those extra moments! :)

best of luck to all of it working well for you and your family!!!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Peppys Pita Bread
1 1/8 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1. place all ingredients in bread pan of your bread machine, select Dough setting and start. When dough has risen long enough, machine will beep.
2. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Gently roll and stretch dough into a 12 inch rope. With a sharp knife, divide dough into 8 pieces. Roll each into a smooth ball. With a rolling pin, roll each ball into a 6 to 7 inch circle. Set aside on a lightly floured countertop. cover with a towel. Let pitas rise about 30 minutes until slightly puffy.
3. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F (260 degrees C). Place 2 or 3 pitas on a wire cake rack. Place cake rack directly on oven rack. Bake pitas 4 to 5 minutes until puffed and tops begin to brown. Remove from oven and immediately place pitas in a sealed brown paper bag or cover them with a damp kitchen towel until soft. Once pitas a softened, either cut in half or split top edge for half or whole pitas. They can be stored in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for several days or in the freezer for 1 or 2 months.

Got the lasagna's and shepherd's pie done and pita breads done. have a chicken in the oven while I am waiting for the bread loaves to rise, By then the cookies will be ready to go in the oven.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Good to hear from you! Sounds like you've got your life all planned out :) (I mean that in a good way :))

Vapor barrier plastic is not very thermally stable -- it stretches a whole lot when heated (and shrinks when cooled). Also it is not tremendously transparent.

I can't realistically view the video you cite, as I am on dialup, but unless the design requires a truly vast area of collectore space, you might find Suntuf cheaper than plexiglass. It is like $36 for a 2x8 sheet or $50 for a 2x12 sheet. It is very easy to work with, and rated for temperatures up to 130 C (270 F), and I've seen photos of passive solar heaters people've made using it. Home Depot etc carry it on the rack. (DO NOT use Palruf, its cheaper cousin, which is not able to stand high temperatures. Palruf has a wavy profile; Suntuf has a sort of squared-off crenellated type of corrugation)

Or, really, what about old windows? I suppose they might have to be single-pane, but they're out there. Old storm window sashes, or old singlepane sliders.

Pat
Well, I'll have to try it with the plastic for now, and when I get to town I'll look for that plexiglass. I have everything I need except for that. We'll see how it goes with just the plastic, and it will give the kids and I something to do this weekend. I;m still looking for a window to use for that pop can collector for the barn.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
patandchickens said:

Pat
What is Suntuf and what is it used for??