Hello, newish from California...

stepstephens2

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hello, I've been on here for a little bit and I thought I had posted here... but it looks like I hadn't. Ooops! :/ Well I'm in the Central Valley of California where all the raisins come from- Fresno. I grow and dry my own herbs. I grow my own vegetables and can my own salsa, pickles, and tomato sauce. Oh, I make spicy blueberry jam using my habanero peppers... I make other jams too, but that is my favorite. I have 15 chickens. My husband and I have a few acres that we are not doing anything with except letting the neighbors cow and goats pasture on at the moment... so I've been trying to convince my husband to let me have my own goats. So, hello everyone!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:frow Welcome!!!

I'm way down south in No. County San Diego.

Last year I did a jalapeno jam with my surplus of nectarines. Yum!!!

g

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Welcome :)

I'm up in Canada, in southern Alberta.

Spicy Blueberry Jam sounds interesting, not sure if I'd like it personally as my tummy objects to hot peppers, but I have a kid who loves all things spicy!

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi and welcome. Would love, love your recipe for the spicy blueberry jam - the blueberries are in season here right now and that sound delicious!

S

sunsaver

:welcome Get him hooked on goat cheese or goat cheese recipes. Just call it queso fresco. :)

stepstephens2

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Jrmom- I'll try to find my recipe for the jam, it's buried under everything from last year. My peppers aren't ready yet, so I haven't organized for any of the pepper jams yet. If I remember correctly, I just took a raspberry Jalapeno jam recipe that called for cider vinegar (I love the bite, even in blueberries) and converted it to blueberries. I used 2 Habaneros (not seeded because I love it hot), 5 red ripe Anaheim chilis (had more of those than bell peppers), one pkg. of pectin... I hope that gives you a start. Blueberries and sugar, of course. I food processed the peppers until it was almost a paste and then gave the blueberries something like 2 pulses (because I like a lot of whole blueberries left in the jam.) When I find the recipe I will post it on the homemade products thread.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
rasberry jalapeno jam sounds really awesome, two of my hubby's favorites. I would love to hear how you make that.

:welcome