HELP! 1860's Kitchen supplies

EweSheep

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks and I think my mother has one! ;)

mrs.puff

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You need to get ahold of the Original 1861 Fanny Farmer Cookbook. It has EVERYTHING in it. You can find it at Barnes and Noble or whatever. I've got one. It has all kinds of stuff in it about recipes, foods for invalids, drinks, supplies, household tips, etc.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
mrs.puff said:
You need to get ahold of the Original 1861 Fanny Farmer Cookbook. It has EVERYTHING in it. You can find it at Barnes and Noble or whatever. I've got one. It has all kinds of stuff in it about recipes, foods for invalids, drinks, supplies, household tips, etc.
This sounds like a great cookbook for all of us! Thanks!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Have you read Rebel Cornbread And Yankee Coffee: Authentic Civil War Cooking And Camaraderie by Garry Fisher? It is published by Crane Hill Publishers; ISBN 1-57587-175-0

Our library has this book, and it is great reading - even if you aren't a Civil War buff. This is a quote from the book's preface:

The recipes document the typical diet of the rank-and-file soldiers in the field. They do not reflect the culinary experience of the more fortunate senior officers. Instead, I have attempted to record the real thing, culled directly from the memoirs and letters of common soldiers from both sides.
edited for typo

EweSheep

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've heard of Fannie Farmer but our library dont have that early of an edition. I will have to find it!

The Civil War cookbook sounds interesting! I am not crazy about eating fatbacks and redeye gravy and hardtack LOL! I personally dont like coffee but love the smell of it brewing over the campfire in the mornings!

I have one CW cookbook that uses over the campfire but it was so simple with a few ingredients probably when the soldiers can find a good garden to raid off from.

I know the soldiers usually take off with silver or pewter items from the kitchen. I bet they had to confront a few MAD women!!!

The stories I heard that Southern women would "bury" their valueables and FOOD! Hard to hide a live pork on hooves in these days!

What is their method of shampooing their hair? Egg whites?????

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
keljonma said:
What is their method of shampooing their hair? Egg whites?????
I just borrowed The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in the 1800's by Marc McCutcheon from my local library.

http://www.amazon.com/reader/0898795419?_encoding=UTF8&ref_=sib_dp_pt

This is a very interesting book about life during the 1800's. The author quotes sources for every item listed. According to an 1836 source, they used New England Rum!
New England Rum??? And all this time I've been using baking soda and ACV!!! ;)