Help a sister out, please! (Operation~Find Sam a Friend!)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Long story short. Daughter 14.5 years old, (the love of my life) has always had a hard time making friends, especially since we moved up here 3 years ago. She is very shy and the fact that she missed almost a whole year of school due to illness didn't help. Summer now, no friends. :( She goes to a great riding stable for lessons now and there are lots of girls (of all ages) there. Yesterday I saw one passing out invitations to a slumber party, Sam is new up there and hasn't been for 2 weeks due to summer camp and cousin visiting, so she didn't get one. However, seeing the invitations get handed out gave me an idea...I can pass out invitations too! My question to you, what can I invite these girls to do at our place? We have basic farm animals, horses, sheep, chickens, ducks, dogs etc. Nothing these girls haven't seen before, we all live in the country and the stables also has the same animals roaming around plus llamas and ponies. We live on 5 acres and have a pond. I don't have a vehicle to cart more than 4 girls around anywhere else. Oh, it really doesn't have to be a slumber party at our place either...we have a local bowling alley, a skating rink etc. too. Ideas???

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
Is the area safe? A few folks around here will have a "camp-out" of sorts, with tents up in their yard...LOL you can have a bonfire or something along those lines as well.... and there is always the bathroom inside they can use etc...

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
My niece is that age and are into victorian and lolita fashions. They would go for a full out Victorian tea party in a heart beat. No idea what is "in" in your neighborhood though. If I lived near her, I'd set up a full high tea, with all the snacks, bocce ball, croquet....

Maggies Pop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Different circumstance since my daughter is only 6.5, but we have a really nice creek that runs at the back of our property. We have had several *hot* days and have had "creek parties". We have a picnic down by the creek and play. Maybe you can do something like that with your pond? It's simple, but yet fun.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
YES! I like both ideas! Although these girls aren't the girly type, they would love a camp out with bocce ball, croquet, and other yard games... There is a nice beachy lake down the street that I could cart them in groups to the next day, bring some blow up things...

Would you suggest allowing them to ride the horses? Liability issuse?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Maggies Pop said:
Different circumstance since my daughter is only 6.5, but we have a really nice creek that runs at the back of our property. We have had several *hot* days and have had "creek parties". We have a picnic down by the creek and play. Maybe you can do something like that with your pond? It's simple, but yet fun.
:thumbsup

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I can't believe I have to say this, but get signed consent forms from parents on the horse back riding. I had a neighbor with a trampoline who got sued when a neighbor kid fell on it and got hurt in the springs. So then he made everyone get a form signed to jump on it.

This culture is too sue happy to just have fun.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I agree with Abi. We had to sign something for the farm where DS rides of course, and she has something in it about the whole property, including the trampoline and playscape. Better safe than sorry. I'd imagine that if these girls ride their parents won't be surprised that you ask them to sign something. As for ideas, all I have to say is, I wanna come!!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yeah, I signed something too for her to ride at the stables...no bigs. I might tuck something into the invitation to be digested and signed before hand.

Thanks for all the ideas and encouragement. :)

I think a camp fire with tents is the way to go so far. :) Any more game ideas? I do have bocce ball...

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I think even if the girls aren't "girly-girl" they might still enjoy a high tea - a couple types of tea, maybe some herbals, with cookies, cakes, sandwiches with veg (cucumber, watercress) from the garden, herbs and cream cheese.... on tables in the yard would be terrific if your weather cooperates. The girls could help with the tea makings.