Help!!! Goat experts input needed...

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So now I am nervous about her feeding program for the six days that I will be gone, assuming she is ok tomorrow. I feel like I should cut out the grain altogether for a while. Is that too severe? I have to make up daily feed packets for the guy that will be feeding them, to make it simple for them. I will have to do that tomorrow (Monday.) So, FC, what would you do? Hay only? Maybe keep the alfalfa pellets so the change is not too severe? Or what? Beet pulp? Hay only? Carrots? I can buy some veggies for her for the week, if that is best.

*********don't be nervous. chances are she will be eating fine in the morning....yup, they do this and are fine in a while.....mine have done it to me! :)

don't change radical diet. change slow. I would cut the grain down, cut the pellets down, increase hay, and a few treats for her.....but lower the amts. while increasing hay.

What I do:
goat chow pellets from local feed mill
sweet feed near kidding time only
free choice minerals
free choice baking soda
good hay
pasture

that is all my goats get. You have to feed a rumen carefully. Their guts are on a whole different level of processing.

While you want to feed that cute goat everything, it is just a risk to go overboard.

See you feed good hay, minerals, some grains for protein and their diet is complete.

Will check in with you in the morning and I hope she is up and perky and happy goat!!!!!!!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I'm not as knowledgable as FC but my boer girls get no grain at all until they are close to delivery and then only whole oats. I do believe in calcium for a doe so feed 3/4 cup alfalfa pellets twice a day and a couple of pounds of a grass hay for each twice a day.
Once they have kids nursing though, they get as much as they need to keep weight on.

Your cold weather can make a difference though as they need gut activity to keep warm. My temps are rarely below 25 degrees here.
But its really hay digestion that keeps the gut going and warms the animal.

Too much food does cause "dog poo" in goats. Anything that will cause digestive upset will do that.
Also worms and cocci can do this too. If I see solid poo, I make a concerted effort to find out who. If it's one day, I relax but if it keeps coming back or even stays that way- it's worming I try first. If it's a kid, I do a cocci treatment series first but adults usually have better resistance to cocci than kids so it's worm first. If I can't resolve it fast, I take a fecal to the vet. A good investment in goat health for $10-15.

One of the things you need to be careful about is that dairy goat people who have does in milk are pushing a lot more food into their animals as those animals are producing a lot of product. Not nursing or milking goats need waaaaay less.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ETR
you are right. I only grain in winter. In summer I grain according to condition of the animals. They get feed maybe every 3 days or so.

big diff. between kidding time feeds and a goat hanging out in the pasture not being milked etc. You are so right on that one!

like any animal, feed what is needed and when....just sense for any situation. But I know overfeeding goats is a sure way to have trouble fast.

LOL on the poop
You are right here cause what comes out is a clear indication of what is happening on the insides..LOL
Are we fascinated by poo? :gig

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
How is the goat doing this morning? Just wondering if the night went OK and all is well!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
She is a bit better, she ate some of her hay last night and there were lots of poops (on the solid side, but things are moving) in her stall. She ate a bit of grain, but I didn't talk her into more like I was doing! She is out with the other two now, they are sunning themselves and eating hay on the East side of the barn. I think I will have her separated at night and given no more than 1/2 pound per day while I am gone.

They always have hay and water and the supplements free choice.

I have had ivomec injectible sitting on my counter for a couple of weeks now, I have been waiting to be sure she is stronger to give it, now I will wait until I get back.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Glad all is getting better. yea don't push grains, if she is eating hay and drinking water she is still doing very well!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for all your help and support yesterday, reallllllllly appreciate it!!

:frow

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Tonight she wanted more grain, she only got the 1/2 can. I feel better about leaving her tomorrow morning. I'll miss you guys and gals!

:frow :frow :frow :frow :frow

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So happy she is eating again and doing well for you.

LOL--goats always want more..HA HA HA

you are always better feeding less than more when it comes to goats. good hay for her and she will be happy!!!! have fun!!!! you sound relieved and that is a great thing!

:)