Help? Goat milk yogurt....runny, a bit stringy :(

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I tried making my first yogurt in a crock pot. Using two quarts of pasteurized goat milk, I took the temp up to 180 then cooled to 115 degrees. Added about 1/2 - 2/3 cup plain Dannon yogurt mixed in w/some of the warm goat milk and then wrapped up the crock pot in a blanket to sit overnight. This morning, the top looked firm. I did not see any of the yellow liquid I thought I might. I stirred and the yogurt seemed to get somewhat thin and almost stringy. What did I do wrong? Is it still good? Help, please? :(

Thank you.

donrae

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Home made yogurt is much thinner than the store bought stuff. I've not run into the stringiness, so can't help you there. Does it smell and taste all right? I strain my yogurt for several hours to get the consistency I like, that also gives me the yellow whey for whatever I decide to use it for. I'd say try straining it, and see how you like it. Sounds like you did everything right, so it should be good.

ChickenPotPie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks, Donrae. I thought about straining it, too, but quickly realized that it went straight through the butter muslin (made a sticky mess!) so I guess I should use something more like a thin pillowcase. :/ Fyi, I *think* it smells and tastes okay. I was hoping for a little more tang but it's okay, I guess.

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
CPP,

I don't want to sound like an advertisement but I've recently purchased very fine meshed nut milk bags for straining my Kefir cheese and they work fantastic! I first tried using several layers of cheese cloth to strain the kefir milk but it was an aggravating mess.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
I use a sheer white curtain panel (or part of) for most straining. Very fine mesh and washable! And inexpensive. The ones I have now came from a thrift store. Just wash well first!:)