Help! I have a plague of houseflies.

S

sunsaver

God! I hope it's not that, BBH, but it probably is. Guess i'll have to bomb the attic! Not very "green" of me.:sick

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Sorry! :hugs The people there are awesome! And I loved riding my horse out in the Bandara area (hill country-ish) and up in the LBJ grasslands in north TX.

Texas just about killed me, I'm a wussy...Hurricane Ike was 'it' for me, when I moved up here (my power was STILL out during all the packing and moving) I looked like a refugee. My horses had to wait until October to be shipped b/c the heat in a trailer would have killed them. I've lived through a tornado hitting my house, other near miss tornados, a water moccasian bite, the heat, the scorpians, THE ROACHES!, THE FLIES!, other snakes, and every hurricane since 1975.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
God! I hope it's not that, BBH, but it probably is. Guess i'll have to bomb the attic! Not very "green" of me.:sick
Did you recently put out rat traps or something?

I loose all my green when it comes to clusters of insects, especially ANYTHING FLYING!

(Oh yeah, baymule, I loved my Ann Richards and my old mayor Bill White too!)

Neko-chan

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
baymule said:
Fill an unused ziplock baggie with water and hang it by the door. Dunno why, but it scares the flies away. See 'em on the doorways to some of the backwater eating emporiums around here.
You do know that Mythbusters busted that, right? Filling a bag with water did NOTHING to repel the flies (if anything, they were crawling all over it!)

S

sunsaver

citronella? neem oil? I never set traps for rats. I let the owls take care of them. But i can hear them. I just don't smell anything dead, and i got a great sniffer. They (flies) are on the ground, on the tree, just all over. It's biblical in proportion.
Maybe one of my neighbors died in their house and nobody's found them yet. I thought it could happen to me, because i seldom get visitors, and have nearly choked to death 3 times. I search and sniff more in the morning.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
citronella? neem oil? I never set traps for rats. I let the owls take care of them. But i can hear them. I just don't smell anything dead, and i got a great sniffer. They (flies) are on the ground, on the tree, just all over. It's biblical in proportion.
Maybe one of my neighbors died in their house and nobody's found them yet. I thought it could happen to me, because i seldom get visitors, and have nearly choked to death 3 times. I search and sniff more in the morning.
So, this happens every year?
I would be suspicious of them breeding somewhere in your house.
Attic maybe? Or in the walls?

S

sunsaver

No BB, this has never happened here. It's usually butterflies or cutworms around here, because i'm organic.

Nice link Free, i'll have to examine them closely to make a positive ID. They seem to be only outside, and come in when i open the backdoor. Ive been goin out the front today, and there's only a couple in here now, after the soapy water slaughter. I hate to kill anything that i don't plan to eat, but this is unbearable!:smack

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Your signature fits in well with that last post. :gig

Shouldn't he get some guineas and feed them up right with all this?