HELP I need to cure and smoke 58 lbs of ham

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We used regular salt with our last one, and they seem to have turned out fine. I do prefer to use the curing salt, but I didn't have any at the time.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yea, Ollie actually gave us the salt she has always used and told us what mill to get it at. I had tons of regular salt in the pantry but she just giggled at me using it. Course she considers us silly city people still too. We have only had the farm for 20 years and still don't know enough. Maybe another 30 and we will be country folk too.

Was a bit of work but we got the mixture ready and salted the living fire our of those things. Stuffing salt around the bone ( fun). And they are laying flat in the cold workshop right now. In 2 days they will be hung from a hook in the rafters that are shaded under the trees. Figure its the most secure spot. Locked up tight workshop thats not yet in use and it has shade and no heat going to it.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just an update: Both hams came out fantastic. We washed them down with vinegar water. ( there was light mold on them which we were told was normal). Anything black we were told to cut off. BUT the good news is that once all that was done and we had a slice it was fantastic. So now we know how to sugar cure a ham. I wonder if I can do this with a deer ham too? hmmm

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
We used regular salt with our last one, and they seem to have turned out fine. I do prefer to use the curing salt, but I didn't have any at the time.
Don't get anyone (especially me) started with the I-did-it-once-so-it's-safe bit. If you don't follow canning/curing/preserving practices it's not a guarantee that you'll die. It's probability, not certainty. Granted, it's a small chance but the consequences are horrific so I wonder why anyone would take the chance.

Anyhoo, you can buy these curing mixtures pre-mixed [1]. Some have sugar. All have sodium or potassium nitrate.

Eating a lot of cured meats seems to be bad for one's lifespan. Or so they say. And I've heard that the nitrate-nitrite conversion is affected by high heat, so I'm avoiding bacon these days. But I don't think I could avoid all cured meats.

1. http://www.mortonsalt.com/faqs/meat-curing-faqs

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Wannabefree said:
Don't get anyone (especially me) started with the I-did-it-once-so-it's-safe bit. If you don't follow canning/curing/preserving practices it's not a guarantee that you'll die. It's probability, not certainty. Granted, it's a small chance but the consequences are horrific so I wonder why anyone would take the chance.

Anyhoo, you can buy these curing mixtures pre-mixed [1]. Some have sugar. All have sodium or potassium nitrate.SORRY but you should have written NITRITE not nitrate the preserving is done by the nitrite the nitrate breaks down to nitrite with time. If only nitrate is used the bacteria are going to have a head start before the nitrate breaks down. ~gd

Eating a lot of cured meats seems to be bad for one's lifespan. Or so they say. And I've heard that the nitrate-nitrite conversion is affected by high heat, so I'm avoiding bacon these days. But I don't think I could avoid all cured meats.

1. http://www.mortonsalt.com/faqs/meat-curing-faqs

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I will say this. I can actually eat this ham. I started having tummy issues and thought it was any pork but it ended up being "not really fresh" pork. You know that slimy stuff they sell at the store. The fresh stuff I could eat but ham still bugged me. I ate this and was fine. I think maybe the lack of ingredients is what does it. Commercial does quicker cheaper processes that have the right look via dyes. Starting to think my allergy might be dyes or something and not the actual type of meat. I had similar issues with beef but as long as its fresh from our local butcher i am ok. We just have to keep massive amounts of cow in the freezer so mom can eat beef. ( sigh)

I just seem to have all sorts of little issues with foods since cleaning up my diet but at least now I can have a lovely slice of ham without pain and illness. WOOT Just in case though I am keeping the activated charcoal close until I am more sure.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Awesome, Heatherlynnky! I am finding that as well, its not the actual FOOD but the process/chemicals that are used. I can't eat/drink pasteurized dairy without an allergic reaction (runny nose, very odd), but raw dairy is fine. Close to the source is where I want to be!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hqueen13 said:
Awesome, Heatherlynnky! I am finding that as well, its not the actual FOOD but the process/chemicals that are used. I can't eat/drink pasteurized dairy without an allergic reaction (runny nose, very odd), but raw dairy is fine. Close to the source is where I want to be!
Close to the source is the best way to put it! :thumbsup