HELP I'm in the kitchen

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here's the recipe if you want to try it. I used canned garden tomato sauce and olive oil to "grease" everything.

IMG_20190113_181024442.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You are a good husband to your wife. :love

what's for supper tomorrow night?

I try... last night it was philly cheese steak sandwiches which i made. Tomorrow night its shrimp scampi that I'm going to make also. If my wife ain't feeling like cooking. I don't mind learning how to cook in the kitchen but I prefer my BBQ grill.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm making pizza again. This time my wife requested a thinner crust. So I'm going to take one dough ball, cut it in half and try and make two thin crust pizzas.

Also, I'm not rising the dough in the dryer. I'm trying LG advise and rasising it in the oven. So far it looks like it's raising well :) although I'm not sure about that plastic wrap it looks like a balloon. I might just take a tooth pick a poke a hole in the top of it.

IMG_20190126_165246782.jpg

Last edited:

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nice! My dough has not been rising well since we moved. Our old kitchen was always hot, I think I need to try letting it rise in the oven too.

I always make two pizzas out of what is supposed to be one crust. Perfect thickness. I made pizza tonight in fact, half white half whole wheat and no one complained! Lol

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nice! My dough has not been rising well since we moved. Our old kitchen was always hot, I think I need to try letting it rise in the oven too.

I always make two pizzas out of what is supposed to be one crust. Perfect thickness. I made pizza tonight in fact, half white half whole wheat and no one complained! Lol

Your way more experienced than I am. I need to make some more pizzas, before I could even think about trying to experiment. Heck I'm happy I can get in the kitchen every other day to make dinner. I haven't killed us yet :eek:.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It doesn't look abnormal, lol . I just let mine rise at room temp but yes, it should be ok in the fridge

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You mean like cook it now? It's too early :( I want my wife to have hot pizza when she wakes up. She had me worried, poor girl. The last time I had to take her to the hospital was 22 years ago to deliver our youngest daughter.

Punch it hu? I was about ready to kick it but decided I made all that mess, I might as well try and save it...

Sausage, onion, mushroom and extra cheese on mine is my favorite and that what I'm gonna make. My wife likes cheese with very very little sauce so that'll be other one.

I should have not listened to my mother in law and let it rise on the counter like the directions said :(

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You should be fine. BTW, the next time your MIL tells you to put dough in the dryer to rise, you might ask her if she plans to buy you a new dryer! If that dough escapes the bowl, and oozes through the dryer holes, you're gonna have a huge mess on your hands!

I turn on my gas oven for a minute or two to heat it up just a bit, then turn it off... to provide a warm, safe spot to let my yeast dough rise. Think: baby bottle warm.

Any yeast dough will respond to the temp. Warm... up to a point... will make it rise faster. Cold will slow it down. So, if you have the dough spread in the pan, resting in the fridge, that's great. At this point, I'd take it out about 1/2 hour before I wanted to cook it... unless it's already getting puffy in the fridge. You want a bit of puff. That will give the dough it's nice soft in the middle texture instead of being tough, like a cracker. As for the dough acting like a giant elastic, that's the function of the gluten. The more gluten, the more elastic like it becomes. The way to work around that: stretch it, let it rest, stretch it again. There is a "sweet point" with dough where the gluten is "broken enough" that it is not quite so springy.

I'm glad your wife's UTI was caught before it made her extremely sick. In addition to the antibiotics and LOTS of liquids to drink, I prescribe lots of sweet TLC by hubby. But, it looks like you are already doing that.

Wow thank you for explaining the details in a way I can understand. I've never messed with dough before, so I didn't know what to expect. So by allowing the dough to rise it makes it better, fluffy'er more soft. And that's why you allow it to raise in the first place - thanks!

Me too I so happy she is doing better. I asked her like 4 times if she wanted to go to the hospital. She told me no all 4 times. Then she said ok I'm ready to.go.to the hospital now. That's when i knew it was serious. She doesn't like doctors or hospitals at all so I was like shocked she wanted to go. She was dehydrated also, how I don't know because she kept wanting water and cranberry juice and I know I brought her several glasses full.

Last edited:

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You did beautifully! Another idea for helping dough to rise on a cold day-- put a hot water bottle in the bottom of a clean ice chest, then put your dough bowl on top and close the lid. Oil the top of the dough to keep the surface from drying, which will hinder the rise.