Help me make a shopping list!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I like the idea of food on the hoof. I believe that it would be easy to be set back without electricity due to an electromagnetic bomb or by a solar flare. I have a lot of cockerels that I butcher a couple at a time. I want to get rabbits too. Either one could either free range for the birds or be on a moveable cage to eat grass for rabbits. Yes it would probably take longer to grow larger but you wouldn't be out any money on feed (if there was food to be had), winter squash, Jerusalem Artichokes, turnips, etc. would feed the family and the critters during the winter. Being able to can them for quick meals can be accomplished without electricity, even solar dehydrating. Small livestock is the way to go without trying to long term preservation.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I agree @Icertuche on the small livestock. That's why we have sheep and chickens. Sheep can survive on purely being grass fed. We are working on getting good pasture now, in our climate, we have rye grass that grows in the winter, Bermuda and Bahia in the summer.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It's still too hot to toss it out here - headed for 96 degrees today. Did nobody tell mother nature that it is supposed to be fall???