Help me not be lame.....

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
County fair board, hmmmm? I think I'll make it a goal to be an "exhibitor" next year, and this year figure out how.

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Our fair has 4-H/FFA and Open Class and the animals stay all week. The fair puts out a regular book that outlines all the regulations and requirements, when you need to bring your animals, etc. Our fair doesn't print the book anymore, it is available online in a .pdf. You might want to check with the county or whoever runs the fair to get a copy of your fair's book and study it for next year. Passes are available for exhibitors which make it less expensive (I am hesitant to say "cheaper") than paying the daily gate admission.

Also, you may want to check to see when you need to register. We have to submit our entry forms about 60 days prior to the actual fair. I goofed this up this year and remembered on Monday that the entry forms were supposed to be in the previous Friday....we had to plead the "don't punish the kids for mom screwing up" case....they were cool and allowed them to bring 4-H stuff (but open class would have been a $10 per entry late fee).

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I did find their PDF file online and that is what prompted me to start this thread, it just made me more confused because it is so general. I do think most entries are through 4H. It doesn't say how long the animals stay, when or where to check in or even what breeds or classes there are, just animal categories and doesn't say what the requirements are. There must be somewhere else this information is available. I'd call but can't............I can't hear.
So I think I'll find someone friendly in the rabbit area and see if they will let me pick their brain.
That is actually how we found and bought our dairy goats at the same fair three years ago.

S

sunsaver

It must be so frustrating not being able to hear. It seems like there should be some voice recognition, closed caption device on the market by now, that would "hear" the person and print it on your smart phone so that you can read what they are saying, in person, or on the phone, in real time. Whoever comes out with this app, deserves the Nobel Peace prize.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
It is extremely frustrating, and not just for me, this effects my whole family. You cannot imagine how many "favors" I have to ask to get my questions answered. And sometimes, like in this situation, my family is not suited to help. I'm the researcher/animal person around here.
I have to thank God I found all you helpful people who guide me so often and help me be .......less lame.

1407_me_with_chin_on_hand.jpg

yes, that is me....

S

sunsaver

You're not lame at all, SD! Just Hang in there and keep doing what you do! We're all in this together, even though it's tough at times. We are here to help in what ever way we can. I often think of the ss forum as my personal support group. I'd go bonkers home alone every day without you to talk to. I'd be like Tom Hanks in that movie, talking to a soccer ball.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
*SD looks at dog...
"We don't have conversations with soccer balls, do we?"
Dog shakes head no.
SD sighs in relief.*

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
yay! i love your pic!

*ofg turns to one of several cats sitting beside her*

ofg: do we talk to soccer balls?
cat 1 of many: nope.

;-)

S

sunsaver

Cat stares back at OFG like she's crazy: "But you ARE talking to a cat!" :lol:

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ha!

the cats think they are the most interesting beings here and they have a lot to say. all the time. Peeper is our tattle"tail"... she rats out everyone. sheesh!