Help me understand this Alternative Energy Rule, please!!!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was listening to my favorite talk show the other day and they had a rep from our energy company on. During the interview, a caller asked about MS's net metering policy, when we would be legal & allowed to net meter our alternative energy, solar, wind, water turbine & biomass(the last two are huge for MS, not so much the others). He referred to Rule 29 of the public service commission. After some searching, I came up with this:
http://www.psc.state.ms.us/regs/29.html

But what does it mean? :hu

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm not a lawyer, and I don't play one on TV, but from the looks of what I can understand.... it seems that the utilities are supposed to purchase purchase electricity from alternate sources. That would seem to include households also. That is, as long as doing so does not imposed any increased costs on the utility.

However, before I would seriously consider doing this, I would get a real lawyer to interpret the rules into english.

The last that I had heard was that there was no "Net Metering" legislation in Mississippi, and if there is now, it must be something fairly recent. With no actual laws regarding this, the companies can set their own rules and you can bet that they won't be favorable to the citizens.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That is pretty much what I got out of it. I was hoping it would be more favorable to the consumer. Alas...
We do indeed have no net metering policy on the books, nor do we have any tax incentives, breaks or even any decent installers.
The guy speaks on this station fairly regularly, maybe once a month. I think I will call him on the details of this Rule 29.
Thanks for your input.