help me with fencing math

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm ordering some electric poultrynet from Premier. i was trying to explain to my mother how much bigger this is than the fence i have now and it didn't make any sense to her, so now i've confused myself.

i'm ordering 164 ft. in my head, that means a 41 ft X 41 ft square. and that equals 1,681 sqft. right?

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thanks. it seemed so straight forward until i started trying to explain it to her.

right now i've got about 300 sqft (20x15 ft) and she kept saying she didn't think 164 ft of fence would be much bigger...

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Try it on her this way:

160 feet, made into a square, is 40 feet on a side (40 times 4 sides = 160). So it encloses a square that is 40x40.

If whatcha got now encloses only 20x15, this new fencing will enclose more than twice the area (when set up in a square).

So nothing wrong with your math :)

Pat

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Try it on her this way:

160 feet, made into a square, is 40 feet on a side (40 times 4 sides = 160). So it encloses a square that is 40x40.

If whatcha got now encloses only 20x15, this new fencing will enclose more than twice the area (when set up in a square).

So nothing wrong with your math :)

Pat
Of course if you lay it out as a circle (not that hard to do with net fence) you gain about 25% area, 2141Square ft vs 1681sq. ft. Diameter would be about 52 feet.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I have had very very poor luck setting up electronet in a circle. Someone who lives in an area with no significant wind issues *and* soil that holds the posts well could probably do it. But the only way I can get it to work is to put tiebacks on like every other post, which is just way too much work every time you move the fence.

Best way I know of to get more 'bang for your buck' is to set it up with an existing fence or building as one side of the square... that way a 160' net will enclose about 2800 sq feet (as opposed to only 1600 when it's a freestanding 40x40 square). But obviously this isn't always possible.

JME,

Pat