HELP my 1st Pig

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a cute story! I think kiddos should know where their food comes from. It was a good lesson for my grandkids also. Last summer they wanted to taste quail. We went out to the pens and I told them that if they wanted to eat it they had to see how it was butchered. They agreed. They thanked every quail before the "deed." They also loved eating it. Next time - they can help butcher!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a cute story! I think kiddos should know where their food comes from. It was a good lesson for my grandkids also. Last summer they wanted to taste quail. We went out to the pens and I told them that if they wanted to eat it they had to see how it was butchered. They agreed. They thanked every quail before the "deed." They also loved eating it. Next time - they can help butcher!

I totally agree with you. That's a good story also.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The ledgend of Mr. Porkchop lives on... Today while my 3 1/2 year old going on 15 was eating lunch. She just out of the blue said "paw paw did you eat Mr. Porkchop" you know that caught me by surprise. So I thought about my answer and all I could come up with was "Yes hunny i sure did' she then said "did he make you big and strong?". I said yep just look at your paw paw ain't he big and strong? She said "yes you are paw paw'. I said well if you want to be big and strong lile paw paw then eat your ham sandwich . She said "ok paw paw, Mr. Pork chop sure tastes good".

Shes only 3 1/2 years old and already knows what took me a big part of my life to learn.

Adorable. You are giving your grand kids a great gift. They will grow up knowing where vegetables and meat really comes from, and it ain't the grocery store. Knowing that you raise an animal, slaughter it, cook and eat it is almost unknown today. It might have taken you most of your life to get here, but look what you have done for your grand daughter!

Our 3 year old grand daughter loves pigs. She is just fine with eating them too. Our 10 year old loves to hug the baby lambs, but loves lamb meat. She also loves to cuddle baby chicks, but when she's sick, she wants Mamaw's chicken broth. The 18 month old is all about the sheep, she wades right in amongst them, they bump into her, she gets up and chases them.

While your kids and our kids are working to make a living, us grand parents are doing our part to make sure that our grand kids know what real living is all about.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The photo I posted was "Rub Cured". Pink salt rubbed deep. Placed in a bag, sealed tight. Placed in a pan in the fridge and turned over once a day for 7 days. Then was washed off really well and deep rubbed light brown sugar on all sides ans edges. Smoked in a Brinkman water pot smoker for 12-ish hrs. Then rested back in the fridge overnight

So, nothing else?

I have some bellies from my AGH's to do. Pretty much the same suggested recipe but, salt & sugar at same time. Wash, dry off, smoke. My hogs would never get the size of the Berks but, pleased with the slabs anyway.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I used the Pink Salt too, but used several different kind of spices and maple sugar($$$) instead of brown sugar. I'll probably use plain ol' brown sugar next time... I sealed it up in a big ziploc and turned it every day for a week or so before lightly smoking it. It was pretty yummy!

Farmer Connie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, nothing else?

I have some bellies from my AGH's to do. Pretty much the same suggested recipe but, salt & sugar at same time. Wash, dry off, smoke. My hogs would never get the size of the Berks but, pleased with the slabs anyway.
It is Spring Time... I am hyper ridiculous preoccupied. I promise when the heat of summer comes and chases away sales.. I'll have a lot more to contribute. I have 3 hams and 2 bellies curing right now. Going to have rib juices drip baste them. I love to share experiences, but Spring helps us get out of the RED, I will share more soon.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Found one suggestion of kosher salt, brown sugar & maple syrup in equal parts -- for the rub. Then in bag, turn, eventually out & dry in frig uncovered a day or two to dry the outer perimeter really...then smoke.

All basically same theme.

canesisters

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just sat down and read this ENTIRE thread.
GREAT info. Thank you for sharing this whole experience.
I'm considering getting a few pigs in the near future - can't beat the 'free' price - but I'm not prepared AT ALL. It's helpful to see someone start out with zero prep and still have an enjoyable experience with a good outcome.

Latest posts