Help! My 2 yr old's fingernail got completely ripped off!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Tonight my 2 yr old DH was playing around with her big brother and he tried to shut her out of a room and she put her hands up and got her fingers in the hinge side of the door. He was able to completely shut and latch the door with her finger in it. My husband had to open the door and get her out. She panicked and tried to pull her finger out and it completely ripped the nail off except for one little piece of skin that is holding the nail by the corner. I managed to get neosporin and a bandaid on her and gave her some ibuprofen. She calmed down and then the ibuprofen kicked in and she fell asleep. I know it's going to be an issue in the morning, so what do I do?

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
That awful for her, poor little thing! Keep it clean and understand the nail will regrow, but the tip of her finger will be vulnerable until it does. Keep it wrapped in a bandaid until the rawness goes away, it might throb, so she needs to try to keep it up above her heart when it does. It'll hurt like heck for a few days, poor kid!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Epsom salts and warm water soaks twice a day, keep it clean and I'd cont. to do what you are doing now. And I would make sure she had some children's Motrin handy and keep it coming.....that is going to be really sore! :barnie

:hugs Lots of mommy kisses always do it good too! :)

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
DH called the pediatrician this morning and they want to see her to remove the nail that is still attached and clean in really well....I dread that cause she is running around like normal this morning, like nothing ever happened. She helped me make blueberry muffins this morning, sweet girl.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I can't count how many times I had that happen to me as a kid. Mom NEVER took me to the doctor for something like that. I still have all my fingers and nails at 45 :D

I would watch for signs of infection. If there is no redness, no warm feeling, no pain, I really can't see subjecting her to the doctor for this.

But you know your kid best. If you think she needs to see the doc, by all means GO.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
:hugs for your DD! I am glad to hear she is up moving around today!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Here's the thing....I don't think she needs to go but hubby does. I told him this morning that I would call the ped and see what she said and as soon as he hung up the phone he called her instead. He probably exaggerated how bad it was and now she wants to see her. I was hot. I don't think she needs to go but he just won't let up so I am going to appease him cause DD is fine. I changed the bandaid this afternoon and she didn't even flinch. Ugh...:rolleyes:

TTs Chicks

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Been there done that ;) Sucks cause they scream bloody murder when it happens, but in a little while they act like nothing happened. I'm sure she'll be fine - mine have been. Sometimes Daddy just needs to hear the doc say it instead of Mommy :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:sick

We need an OW OW OW OW "oh my that hurts" OW smiley!

Yea I wouldn't take her either if it was healing fine and she is acting great....but my DH is the same way!!!!! I know what you mean...you have to DEAL with him more than with her...LOL-LOL

hang in there....poor gal! You know that hurt but as long as you have it under control, all should be fine! :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I hope shes ok. I know that's gotta hurt. I would take her in and let the doc remove the nail. That will appease your dh and get the job done. Then just maintain and bandage at home. Oh, Ice cream should help too. ;)