Help!! My kraut smells like alcohol and has a white scum on top!

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Okay, that's what I did wrong. Well I am going to dump it since today it now has a definate layer of slimy mold on it. I refrigerated it at one point, then had to take it out because of lack of room and put it in a cabinet that I thought stayed cool over by the ac vent, but it wasn't cool enough I guess. Next time I will keep in in the fridge. Thanks! BTW if it water bath it will it stay good in the cabinets at reg. temps?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
Okay, that's what I did wrong. Well I am going to dump it since today it now has a definate layer of slimy mold on it. I refrigerated it at one point, then had to take it out because of lack of room and put it in a cabinet that I thought stayed cool over by the ac vent, but it wasn't cool enough I guess. Next time I will keep in in the fridge. Thanks! BTW if it water bath it will it stay good in the cabinets at reg. temps?
Check post# 61 in the thread below, where I posted canning instructions. Yes, if canned properly, you can store it like any other canned food.

http://www.sufficientself.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1861&p=7

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
THANKS!! I really need to get the Kerr and Ball canning books. I had the ball book but lost it and a lot of other really good books in the tornado.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
But, if you can it, the heat from processing will kill all the good bacteria that are so helpful in the digestive tract. Your choice, of course, but personally I don't like sauerkraut well enough that I want to just eat it, I want the health benefits :lol:

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Yep, my sentiment exactly ;) Poor, poor, underappreciated sauerkraut.

Latest posts