Help! My stanchion smells like sour milk!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I have a piece of outdoor carpet draped over mine so that if I get anything on it I can take it outside and hose it off and hang it up. Gives the goat better traction and gives me something more cushy to sit on.

I agree, take it outside on the next sunny day and scrub it with a little bleach water or some water with the juice of one lemon and some white vinegar in it. You could probably get a rubber backed mat (like for your front door, a welcome mat) and put it on there and that will be way easier to clean off if you get milk on it. Mine is made of pine too.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
That is a great idea Lori, I have so much mud as well, that would be practical for more than one reason.

My little stanchion needs a little TLC I guess.

glenolam

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a metal one so I keep a spray bottle of diluted bleach near by. If (noticed I said IF :p ) I get milk on the stand or on the floor I just wipe it up and spray it with the bleach.

Every once and a while I take my stand outside for a good scrubbing, but since I don't want it to rust I don't do it too often.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I can see why metal would be better than wood!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
My breeder uses an old weight bench her hubby found at the dump and took home. She drapes a beach towel over it so it is clean for every goat but I don't wanna do that much extra laundry :lol:

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Maybe for now I should drape an old towel over the stanchion until I can get this thing fixed up. It is hard to get the stanchion through the door! I'll have to have one of my sons do it, I have balance issues and fall. But I could put a towel over it and I have no problem doing more wash.

Of course my goats are so strange, any tiny change in the milking room and they freak out. They would not let my son milk them because he is left handed and tried to approach them from the opposite side that I usually like to milk from.

They may think a towel is a crazed monster waiting to leap upon unsuspecting goaties, you never know.