Help Needed Fast! Disturbed rabbit nest with lawnmower!

Sunny & the 5 egg layers

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I was just mowing a portion of my property that I havent mowed in a while. The weeds were about 2 feet high. All of a sudden little baby bunnies started running out of the grass.

I have determined these bunnies are about 2 weeks old. I searched around my property and I gathered up 5 of them. One of them I knicked with the lawnmower and it is bleeding from its foot.

How do I go about releasing these guys back into the wild? Should I recreate the nest with weeds in the same spot I found them? Also will the mother reject the bunny with the sore foot? I'm going to put peroxide on his foot to clean it out.

Thank you!

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
momma bunnies will generally NOT abandon a litter, but they will abandon the nest itself, at 2 weeks old they dont need alot of bedding so i would just pretty much put them back where you found them (as close as possible and keep watch) itll probably be dsk before she tentivly returns for them, but she SHOULD come back :)

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you don't see her much, don't panic. Wild rabbits spend little time with their young. You can check on them once or twice a day but no more.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I did the same thing last year. We put them back in the nest and covered them with grass. We worried cause the next morning they were gone. But 2 weeks later we started seing smaller rabbits running round the front yard. So we assumed these were the babies and that mama moved them that evening.