Help planning my garden

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
doubleatraining said:
See thats the stuff I really need to learn this winter.....storage.

I wouldn't have the slightest idea on how to even begin dehydrating something.

Can you freeze lettuce for storage? Whats the best way to store those plants for long term(4-5month) storage??
You cant really "preserve" lettuce, not that I know of anyway. We always grow leaf lettuce, not head lettuce.

doubleatraining

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I also plan on growing leaf lettuce, I would never get through that many heads of lettuce. LOL

I do have a food saver....that might help with some of the other veggies.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
HeronsNestFarm said:
Lettuce is super easy. I think that greens are a must. I like to have AT LEAST Rainbow Lights Chard. It's a nice mix, needs little care, is nutritious and it will over winter most places.
Ditto. Spinach, lettuce, chard, kale are all very easy, relatively space dense, very nutritious, and good to grow organically, as their nonorganic relatives are full of chemicals.

me&thegals

Reaction score
doubleatraining said:
Can you freeze lettuce for storage? Whats the best way to store those plants for long term(4-5month) storage??
Lettuce wouldn't be great frozen, although I met someone at our farmer's market this year who does this.

If you want frozen greens, chard and kale are great for this. Absolutely great fresh, very cold tolerant (mine frozen repeatedly and were under snow 1 week--still harvested in mid-December) and freeze very nicely for future use.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
You were wondering about methods of storage, I have been doing this for a while now an dhave found these are the best way of storage for each:

Tomatoes- I prefer them in mainly pre prepared food stuffs like spaghetti sauce, salsa, pastes, sauce, , and they are handy to have on hand just in regular canned form. We can all tomato products.
Cucumbers- Best in pickled from definitely.
Yellow Squash- Never actually fooled with squash.
Red Potatoes- Potatoes and root crops in general do better in cold storage. This can be attained by storage in a root cellar, or even in a pit in the ground lined and covered with straw. Potatoes are also handy and tasty canned.
Green Beans- I definitely prefer these canned and dried is good too.
Bell Peppers- Best preserved in other dishes such as spaghetti sauce and salsa, can be frozen too.

me&thegals

Reaction score
Agree totally with BB :)

Plus, squash store well in cellar. If they go bad (which all mine are!!), then they can be cooked down and frozen.

I freeze my hardy greens (spinach, kale, chard) and cook down about 8 quarts of them with garlic and onions to be frozen for future quiches.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We used to freeze our corn but quit that because we got into having meat slaughtered or slaughtering ourselves. Our freezer was just filled with half a beef and 18 chickens :D

I would actually like to can the meat because it will keep indefinitely canned whereas if the power goes or it gets freezer burnt its not a waste of money

doubleatraining

Power Conserver
Reaction score
BB I like the idea of making the food then canning it. Cooked tomatoes and I don't get along well at ALL. So I will be using them for salsa, guacamole, salads,etc.

I need to learn how to pickle! Once I master cucumbers my next goal is okra...I LOVE hot pickles okra but can't afford almost $4 a jar when I can sit down and eat a jar a sitting. LOL

Looks like I'll be buying a ton of cans in the next few months.

Unfortunately I don't have a root cellar or anything close. I'm working on my Sufficient Self in a duplex out in the county with a fairly tolerant landlord. LOL

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
One thing you can do is not be traditional in where you grow stuff. For instance, if you like asparagus and/or rhubarb, don't plant it in your vegetable garden. Instead, plant it in a flower garden in front of your house. You can also plant small fruit trees and bushes in various spots in your yard.

And, try to come up w/a 3 season garden if you can. W/where you live, you should be able to start planting in March and harvest until some time in October or November. Instead of buying plants, get the seeds, and start your own.

Latest posts