Help reducing grocery bill?

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have not been on the forum for a very long time. This whole year I have been in the process of moving from CA to TN. DH, DGD and I moved in with our daughter and SIL and three more of our granchildren. I went from managing a household of three to a household of seven until DD returned from Afghanistan right before Thanksgicing! Now we are a famil;y of eight!

When I was in CA I was baking ALL of our baked goods (bread, tortillas, buns, desserts, snacks,etc) I tried here, but I could not keep up with the amount of people eating them and my energy ability to make them. So we went back to buying bread and tortillas, I am still baking everything else.

I am having a hard time adjusting to the amounts of food to prepare. I either make too much (which I would rather do) or not enough. Our freezer broke down a couple of months ago. We will buy a new one after the first of the year. We have three fridges with freezers in them. A small pantry in the kitchen and a large two door, four shelf pantry in the garage. Until our SIL gets out of the Army next july (DD gets out in March) we are renting a house. We will be looking for a large ranch/farm next year or two. So we cannot do much in the way of altering our storage.

We have been trying to lessen our grocery bill, but with the holidays and extra people and extra baking, it has been harder to do. We try to do major shopping once a month at Sams Club and are trying to figure out if it is better to shiop a Kroger's or Wal Mart for the rest of the shopping. Krogers is better quality and a better selection.

Any help with ideas for large families will help. Both DD and I LOVE to cook and bake so we cook from scratch almost all the time. I like to keep frozen or boxed things on hand for quick meals or if I am too sick to cook.

I have most of the canning equipment I need but have not started canning. Both DD and I have vacuum sealers. We will be buying an dehyderator next year.

Great informative thread!!
Monica

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Leta, GREAT ideas re: packaging. I'd never thought about some of that!

Monica, you can make your own convenience foods a lot cheaper than buying them. (I know, I'm a broken record on this stuff.) After you get into the swing of it, then you'll have more storage room, too. For example, I make cake flour only when I need some, same with homemade Bisquik mix. The dry cream of ___ soup mix takes up as much room as maybe two cans of condensed soup, but makes enough for nine cans of soup.

You'll know that with what basic supplies you keep on hand, you can make pretty much anything you want, whenever you want or need it.

Here's some places to start:

http://busycooks.about.com/od/conveniencefoodmixes/Homemade_Convenience_Food_Mixes.htm

http://www.budget101.com/frugal/mix-recipes-166/

Hang in there, feeding 8 is a lot of work when you're cooking from scratch and want to have a life, too. :hugs

edjanuary39

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Start collecting as many coupons as possible! Cross check them with the sale ads, then go get them! The more of one coupon you have the better. Also I dont have a Kroger, never even seen one, but check the policies for couponing. WalMart I know matches competitor ads so local small grocery store has a sale on something, and you have a coupon, you can go to WalMart and save on that item and do the rest of your shopping without making trips to 5 stores. Also if you have $1 coupons, and item is $1- its free- so you want 20 of those coupons! If you can't use all of them or store them, give it to someone or the food bank. This takes some time, but well worth it. I spend 20 minutes- in front of the tv- sorting my coupons, and then 30- 1 hour preparing sale ads, also at walmart- comp ads go first, then everything that's full price then coupons at the end. Have a well written list so you can get through the process faster and easier. If you want some more of my 'secrets' for extreme couponing just pm me. Be happy to share!

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne- Thanks for the links,I put them in my favorites and plan to stop by them often!

cknmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Marriane- I have been making my own convenience foods on and off since my kids were small. My daughter has also been doing it on and off foe several years. I had to stop last year while we started getting ready to move. From decision to end of move took 9months!!! Until DD returned I was overwhelmed with trying to unpack, taking care of two families and trying to organize two famlies belongings into one house. Now that she is home we will be ready to start doing that once again after the holidays. We have been talking about it already. I just found my cookbook of 'making your own groceries' . I am on my second copy, my first one fell apart from so much use.
I do not know how to make dry cream soups; please share:fl I/we use so much of them for cooking/eating. Thank you for the links!!

edjanuary39- I used to spend hours couponing. In the end of 05' we moved to the mountains and it was no longer feasable for me to do that. Since I have moved this time, I have started again kind of. I have got some together but have not had a chance to organize them. It has been so long since I have used coupons, the few times I have takien them I have forgotten to give them to the checker:barnie DD also is a couponer, we both have some coupon websites also. I did not know that walmart matches other stores coupons.

After the holidaysI will be getting my canning things out of our storage and we can start with those also. DH and I are getting DD a new pressure cooker for Christmas to replace one she had several years ago but got broken. So we will have that to use also. We will have to put aside one day a week to just put up/make supplies. Last Christmas DD got her Dad a real good book on storing food and supplies. We cannot use a lot of the ideas in it until we are not renting. But there are several we can.

Thanls for all the help:frow
Monica

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Use instead of condensed canned cream soups in recipes. Just add the ingredient that forms the basis of the soup. Chop mushrooms, saute in a bit of olive oil and add for cream of mushroom soup. Add chicken for cream of chicken soup. You get the idea!

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

Ingredients:

2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
3/4 cup cornstarch
1/4 cup instant reduced sodium chicken or beef bouillon granules
1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
1/2 tsp. dried basil leaves
1/4 tsp. white pepper

Preparation:
Combine all ingredients and mix well with wire whisk until blended. Store mix in an airtight container.
To prepare as a substitute for one can of condensed cream soup in recipes, stir together 1/3 cup dry mix and 1-1/4 cup water in a saucepan. Cook and stir until thickened. Mix a total of nine cans condensed soup substitute.

http://busycooks.about.com/od/homemademixes/r/creamsoupmix.htm

I can only imagine how busy and how much work you have had to do, Monica. Wow. :/ :hugs

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
deb4o said:
Marianne- Thanks for the links,I put them in my favorites and plan to stop by them often!
I LOVE those links too... I'm going through so I can make my mom a basket of jar mixes for Christmas. I hadn't gotten her anything yet and she's so hard to buy for, but she loves homemade things. :) YAY!

The links are definitely favourited here. Thanks Marianne

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome!

Oh, I love those ol' gifts in a jar. The best one I heard of so far was when my oldest sis dried a boatload of apple slices in her dehydrator. She found a really pretty apple shaped jar and filled it with the dried apple slices for a gift for my mom.

My mom said she ate the entire jar in two days, they were so good. Then she didn't dare walk out of the house for the following two days...and was really glad she was stocked up on toilet paper. She called my sis to ask how many apples she used to fill that jar - just a bushel.

:lol:

There are some more links for pages w/ gifts in a jar ideas on my personal blog - http://2atthefarm.blogspot.com/search/label/gifts in a jar

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Welcome!

Oh, I love those ol' gifts in a jar. The best one I heard of so far was when my oldest sis dried a boatload of apple slices in her dehydrator. She found a really pretty apple shaped jar and filled it with the dried apple slices for a gift for my mom.

My mom said she ate the entire jar in two days, they were so good. Then she didn't dare walk out of the house for the following two days...and was really glad she was stocked up on toilet paper. She called my sis to ask how many apples she used to fill that jar - just a bushel.

:lol:

There are some more links for pages w/ gifts in a jar ideas on my personal blog - http://2atthefarm.blogspot.com/search/label/gifts in a jar
This is not exactly a gift in a jar but I love it for kids. Fill a small fish bowl with gold fish crackers and cover with saran wrap and secure with ribbon! Multi prupose gift!!!!!