Help reducing grocery bill?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If you've found something you can make that taste as good as the name brand that your hubby likes, save the container from the name brand, and put your home made in there. Then, unless he checks the expiration date, he'll never know the difference. :D

edjanuary39

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I know! I have been saving the containers just so I dont have use all my Tupperware. Most can be ran through the dishwasher, and if the labels are plastic I dont have to relabel it. Also loving the new plastic coffee containers! Hint for those of you who dont know, baking soda soaking over night-fill it up all the way and flip it over- takes the coffee smell out.

stubbornhillfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
edjanuary39 said:
I know! I have been saving the containers just so I dont have use all my Tupperware. Most can be ran through the dishwasher, and if the labels are plastic I dont have to relabel it. Also loving the new plastic coffee containers! Hint for those of you who dont know, baking soda soaking over night-fill it up all the way and flip it over- takes the coffee smell out.
Great tip! I save those and re-use too especially to put scraps in to take out to the chickens.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
oh yea any type of container I purchase a product in is used as a container for leftovers. definitely do that also. cottage cheese containers make great dog water bowls for the little ones :p

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
FSW need a tortilla recipe? These are SUPER easy and taste oh so dang good! The price is right too...just pennies per batch ;)

Sift together:

3 c. AP flour(OR if you want something more akin to Taco Bell's chalupa shells use self rising flour instead. That was a delicious mistake! ;) )
1 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. baking powder

Add 1/3 c. oil and mix by hand until blended.
Add 1 1/4 lukewarm water mixing till a soft dough forms.
Knead smooth on a floured surface & shape into a ball.
Let rest 10-15 minutes.
Form into 12 balls, roll out tortillas & lightly fry in a HOT skillet.

This recipe is thanks to TerriLacey on BYC, and is absolutely DELICIOUS!!

Here's another for crackers that is really delicious and can be tweaked and toppings put on for specialty snacky type crackers :drool I don't even remember where this recipe came from but I am glad I have it because it is a great moneysaver too!

Crackers

2 c. flour
2/3 c. warm water
1/3 c. oil

Mix well. Divide into 2 balls and roll each out thin on a greased cookie sheet.
Sprinkle with seasonings/cheese etc. and cut to desired shape and size with a pizza cutter.
Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10-12 minutes.

I have recipes for just about every kind of cracker and bread known to man :lol: Homemade is just awesome!

Storebought versions will never ever again even cross your mind these two recipes are so good!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Oh yum! Have you tried either of these with whole-wheat pastry or bread flour?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I haven't. I have a recipe for crackers using whole wheat flour though if you want it. I also have recipes for vanilla wafers, and graham crackers too if you need any of those. The graham crackers use whole wheat flour I believe as well.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I'd love anything you have with WW flour, if it's not too much bother. Thanks!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Wheat crackers

1/2 c. AP flour
1/4 c. WW flour
1/4 c. oat bran or ground reg oats
1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp baking powder
2 1/2 tsp. butter
1/2 c. water
1 c. milk
basil oregano and garlic to taste
additional butter melted to brush tops.

Mix dry ingredients & butter pulsing in a blender until well blended.
Mix in the milk and water.
Pour thin layer into a well greased pan or cookie sheet. This will cover a 12x24 sheet. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes, or until firm enough to cut. Remove, cut with a pizza cutter, then bake another 15-20 minutes.

Graham Crackers

3 c.+ WW flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
6 tbsp butter
1/2 c. honey

Melt together butter and honey & pour into dry ingredients.
Mix with a fork & push dough together. Place on a well floured surface and roll out to 1/8 inch thick. Cut into rectangles and prick with a fork.

Place on a lightly greased baking tray and bake 10 minutes at 375 degrees.

That's all the WW recipes I have me&thegals I haven't yet tried these two, so cannot comment on their taste, but so far all the homemade recipes have been SO much better than store junk!