HELP turkey questions!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
A local lady is selling her turkeys. She has burbon reds and royal palms. For $20.00 each or less for a pair or more. Do you think this is a good price? Also does anyone have an oppinion on which breed? We will hatch eggs out of them to raise turkeys to eat and sell some of the chicks.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, $20 each seems sorta lowball...I have to wonder about their age? If they are under 3 yrs old...then that is a great price. ( considering IF they are healthy as well) I have the RP, they are a heritage breed, and tend to stay on the smaller side. The BR, they get bigger...I think the toms can weigh up to 30 + pounds! Personally...I like the RP for size and personality.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That doesn't seem low ball for around here for grown birds, not really, not in this economy. I wouldn't pay that for juvenilles though. I would definately have to SEE them first before any money changed hands but that is basic business 101. Look closely at their legs to check for scaly leg mites and try to tell their age, smoother the skin on the legs, the younger the bird is. Check for mites, and get a visual on the poo to make sure they aren't having worm issues. Sometimes you can tell by looking, not always, but most times. I agree on the RP's if you don't have prior experience with turks for the simple fact some males can be aggressive, and you don't really want to start out with a 30 pounder with giant spurs who may be agressive until you have some experience...at least I wouldn't :p I started with poults and $10 for two. I was blessed with a pair. My tom is gentle and can be picked up to this day, though I think it embarasses him in front of his woman now :lol: They are two year old heritage Bronze. I love my turks! Good luck finding some, and maybe these will be the ones!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Love having turkeys, the best watch dogs ever! I would sell my day old Midget White poults for 10.00 so your price seems really fair, of course you have been given tons of good advice from other posters as to what to check and look for to make sure they are "really" a good deal.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think that is pretty cheap. We sell our day olds for $10 each.
Nancy

beerman

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have Blue Slates, Belts ville whites and Narragansetts. I have never had a problem with mean toms they are like little puppys, they follow you around and want pettings.
$20 this time of year seems OK.